Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! We just found out we have a virus!  (Read 4089 times)

Kimberly Lewis

Help! We just found out we have a virus!
« on: December 15, 2004, 01:46:03 PM »
Help! We have an in house LAN line, and we might have a virus that's infecting all our computers. The guy who set up our high-speed internet access says we have a virus. Well, I have one clue: My auto firewall was taken down somehow, and won't go back up. I 1) don't know how to take it down and 2) don't want to. There's a huge possibility the whole family will have to re-format our computers. Two questions: What is the virus? and How do we get rid of it?

Thanks!

merlin_2

Re: Help! We just found out we have a virus!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 03:01:55 PM »
one you should have anvir personal edition or some thing like that>>. program on your pcs....www.majorgeeks.com  you may have a trojan download spysweeper from www.webroot.com and load all the pc with it......and disconnected from the net after the updates and scan with it......or use trendhousecall......

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »
    Go to

www.grisoft.com

and download the free virus scanner. Make sure you update it and then run it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 04:00:50 PM »
      Kimberly Lewis.....You didnt  say how many pcs are on the network......But here is what I would do......
      On a pc that you know isnt infected .......D/L a little app called stinger .....and save it to a floppy disk. Don't forget to write protect the disk after you download it.
      http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  
      Next ......shut down any access to the net by your network. .....Now one pc at a time
      .......Isolate that pc from the others .....use the floppy with Stinger on it and run it from the floppy drive on each machine on the network.  Once you have established that Stinger has found and deleted ......whatever was there ......Run the anti virus which I would imagine you have on all the pcs. Once you have a clean system. You should be safe to go back online .  

Hope this helps you .

dl65 ::)
      « Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:11:09 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 06:17:03 AM »
      Along with what Dl said, you should disconnect all the PCs from the network or the virus may just spread after cleaning again.