Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: joining multiple workgroups in XP?  (Read 3079 times)

hammerash

joining multiple workgroups in XP?
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:12:49 AM »
I have a laptop that I take to work everyday.  It is set up for my home network (using the setup wizard) and works fine.  I am able to use the printer that is on my desktop at home without any problems.  I have internet connection at work and can use internet without problems.  I want to be able to print, using a printer that is on another computer on network.  How do I join this network without screwing up things for when I am at home?  Can you have profiles such as home and work so that I can keep both?  If I run the setup wizard and use my work's workgroup name,  then I assume I won't be able to connect at home unless I run wizard again, which would be a pain in the a** to keep running wizard!

thanks
bill

Doug Vitale

Beginner

• Was that so hard?
    • Doug Vitale Tech Blog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: joining multiple workgroups in XP?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:03:12 PM »
A computer can belong to only one domain or one workgroup at a time. Are there DHCP servers in the office and at home? What are the IP addressing schemes in both networks?

You might want to utilize Windows XP's "Alternate Configuration" to make it easier to switch between your home and office networks, if one of those networks uses DHCP.

To configure TCP/IP for an alternate configuration:

1. Open Network Connections

2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.

3. On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) component, and then click Properties.

4. On the General tab, click Obtain an IP address automatically.

5. On the Alternate Configuration tab, click User configured and then type appropriate values for the following:

• IP address
• Subnet mask
• Default gateway
• Preferred and alternate DNS server
• Preferred and alternate WINS server

Also see:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/27129/27129.html

hammerash

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »
I don't think this will work because I have DHCP servers at home and at work? 

Doug Vitale

Beginner

• Was that so hard?
    • Doug Vitale Tech Blog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:51:35 AM »
I don't think this will work because I have DHCP servers at home and at work? 

Then just connect to each printer (at home and at work) via its IP address ("Standard TCP/IP Port"), and each time you boot up on one of the networks, you'll be able to access it. Here are some pages that can assist you with this:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/094f06f5-350d-4730-a283-2d131ae6e9af1033.mspx?mfr=true

http://its.ndsu.edu/help/index/computer_installations/how_to_install_a_printer_using_ipprinting/