Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media Test Failure Exitinf PXE ROM  (Read 2632 times)

Clintsdad

Media Test Failure Exitinf PXE ROM
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
Have laptop that has wireless card. When on vacation logged in with cable high speed  internet and now I am getting the above message. Cannot get laptop to turn on and says that no IDE located. Please help

RankenTech

Beginner
  • sexay computer nerd
    Re: Media Test Failure Exitinf PXE ROM
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:14:26 PM »
    well, looks like you might have a bad hard drive. PXE stands for preboot execution environment, which means since it can't find any other boot device, the last thing in the boot order is LAN. So, it's trying to find boot information over a network and obviously won't find it.

Have you changed any hardware lately? dropped or bumped the laptop a little too hard?
    A+
    MCP
    CCNA

Clintsdad

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »
    no hardware change.  Do not believe it was bumped - know it wasn't dropped. 

Any thoughts?  Seems coincidental that the problem started right after I had been working off of a LAN cable.  Could it have disable the hard drive??

contrex

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
    Working off a LAN cable wouldn't disable the hard drive. It sounds like it is just coincidence. Laptops lead a hard life. Their hard drives get hot as well as jolted. I take it there is not a non-bootable floppy left in the drive (if there is one)? Is it in warranty? A repair store might be the next stop...