Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton antivirus problem..HELPPP  (Read 6841 times)

C.C.2020

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Chuck rules!!!
    Norton antivirus problem..HELPPP
    « on: October 23, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
    Hey, I'm having trouble with my norton anti virus software. I think I have the newest version, because i upgraded early this year. anyways yesterday it asked to do a full system scan, which took about 5 1/2 hours, then, after it was finished it wanted to do another, which also took 5 1/2 hours, and it froze on this file: c:\WINNT\cache\splitter.sys or something similar, I can't remember ??? :( anyway I had to cancel the scan because once it starts scanning this file it freezes and won't proceed. I really need to know what the problem is! thanks in advance
    Do you speak computer???
    ;P

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Norton antivirus problem..HELPPP
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »
    The best advice that anyone using Norton AV can be given is to uninstall it - see here - then install AVG Free - link shown here along with other excellent links and advice.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
    The best advice that anyone using Norton AV can be given is to uninstall it
    I can't agree more!!!

C.C.2020

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Chuck rules!!!
      « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
      Oh okay thanks!!! I think when my subscription runs out I'll just download avg, instead of renwing norton. ;D
      Do you speak computer???
      ;P

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:46:58 AM »
      Oh okay thanks!!! I think when my subscription runs out I'll just download avg, instead of renwing norton. ;D

Save yourself from more headaches - do it now!
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »
      This would be like if you bought a lemon for a car that didn't run but you kept taking the Bus because you still had 7 more car payments to make...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

C.C.2020

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Chuck rules!!!
        « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »
        Ahahahaaha!!!!
        I understand..LOL :D :D ;D ;) gotcha! so norton may cost money but a free av program is better! ;D
        Do you speak computer???
        ;P

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:45:39 PM »
        You got it....

tpolcha

Hopeful
          « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 08:56:25 AM »
          I chose to get rid of Norton.  They have such a large file that ties up alot of your disk space; especially during the scans.  There system go back interferes with Windows System Restore and I haven't been able to figure out how ghost works.  One of there technicians didn't know either.  I surfed the web at what was supposed to be a legitamate "joke"site and I was attacked.  Norton told me it was my fault and charges $100.00 for online troubleshooting and deleting the virus.  They said it was my fault for using the internet.  AVG is free but my friend also was attacked (only once) and had to hire outside support.  You can buy the full suite of AVG also.  So what is good through my study; I wanted PCSecurity Shield (free 24/7 online tech support and at the time the only software that included rootkit protection).  I thought that was good so I chatted with them online.  They are based in Florida (that was strange).  I ended up feeling belittled by my asking many questions and decided I wouldn't want to have this person helping me solve a new problem if it ocurres.  I'm choosing McAfree.  There tech support costs are low if needed.  They also provide a "site advisor".  It allows you to plug your new web site url in and get a report if it is safe or not. 

No a/v s/w is perfect.  Its what kind of service do you get when you do encounter a problem.

As previously advised; get rid of Norton.  Something is wrong with it.  Launch System Works.  Left side of page; open antivirus tab.  Click on reports.  Use the drop down files and read each of the items.  You should  be able to find that .sys file and look it up to get its definition.   You can also go to there web site where you can not only run a full lenghty system scan but I think you can run a scan on just the Norton s/w by itself.

If anyone else outhere has any recomendations for which a/v suite to buy (there are many) please add comments.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:35:01 AM »
          You will find MacAffee to be as much of a resource hog as Norton was...

AVG Free is the way to go.
          If you are basing how good it is on your friends misfortune then you are missing out on a fine product.

Of course no one program can do it all so here is a well rounded package to add to AVG:

AdAware
          Spybot Search and Destroy
          Stinger (on demand)
          CCleaner
          AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly Ewido)

All the above are FREE.

tpolcha

Hopeful
            « Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »
            Does AVG take up as much space as the others?  I assume it also incorporates a firewall? 

Is the difference between free and paid for A/V S/W the access to immediate new threat definitions?  Please explain when you get the chance.

Since I am a newby, where would I go to find the AVG s/w and all the rest of the free downloads?

Thanks, T.

C.C.2020

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Chuck rules!!!
              « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 01:39:51 PM »
              thanks for all the advice!!!! I'll definitely try the system works and locate the file it kept sticking on. :) and when my subscription runs out I will download those prevously mentioned applications.
              Do you speak computer???
              ;P

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 03:57:39 PM »
              Does AVG take up as much space as the others?  I assume it also incorporates a firewall? 

Is the difference between free and paid for A/V S/W the access to immediate new threat definitions?  Please explain when you get the chance.

Since I am a newby, where would I go to find the AVG s/w and all the rest of the free downloads?

Thanks, T.

I'll answer in the order given...
              It takes about as much space as it needs ...smaller than other free or paid AV programs.
              It does NOT incorporate a firewall.
              The real consideration is how much it uses resources i.e. RAM. In this case it is one of the best out there...

As to the release of new definitions there is no difference whether you have the paid or free version...the defs are released and updated the same.
              I tested this by running both the paid and free versions side by side and saw little or no difference...

AVG Free can be clicked on here...as to the others practice with google.

Let us know how it goes.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »
              Here we go 8) 8) 8)

C.C.2020

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Chuck rules!!!
                « Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:23:50 PM »
                Here we go 8) 8) 8)
                so, McAfee is a bad choice? :P
                Do you speak computer???
                ;P