Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: desktop needs a spanking  (Read 3122 times)

brando

desktop needs a spanking
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »
Hi all,

This computer's been problematic since I got it. I've always had to press the power button over and over again (on average around 40 times) until it finally just starts up. Sometimes hitting the computer on its side will work. This happens every single time I shut it down. When it finally does start up, the clock is where it was when I shut down.

Lately, it's started to get stuck. It can happen anytime, when making high demands on the machine or practically none. I can still move the mouse, and pull up the task manager, but nothing else. The power light on the front of the computer goes off, but it's clearly still running. If I hit the computer hard enough, it will start going again, and all the commands that I pressed in the meantime (after it got stuck) will be executed, in order, while I watch, impotent. It's also started to lose time (not just windows, the system clock too) while running, constantly - immediately after resetting it starts to lose time, both when the computer is on AND off.

It seemed like something was loose (otherwise why would hitting it help?), but I've had it all apart and everything seems to be tightly connected. I've also blown all the dust out, etc. I am making some fairly high demands power-wise (lots of usb attachments) but I'm not sure if a weak psu could account for these sorts of problems. The power light constantly flickers on and off irregularly, though, but it always has done so I'm not sure if that's normal. Just to be sure, I've run every virus/spyware check imaginable, and it all comes back clean. It seems hardware; any ideas? Do you think just needing to replace a battery could cause those kinds of problems? Here are the specs...

- HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5000

- Intel Pentium 4, CPU 2.80 GHz

- 2.79 GHz, 504MB RAM

- Running Windows XP with all updates

- Power Supply: Operating Voltage Range 90–132 VAC 180–264 VAC, Rated Voltage Range 100–127 VAC 200–240 VAC, Rated Line Frequency 50–60 Hz 50–60 Hz

- attached via USB are a Seagate external hard drive (with its own power supply), a wireless mouse, a keyboard, and a Sony DVD burner (with its own power supply)

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:07:29 PM by brando »

contrex

Re: desktop needs a spanking
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:27:08 PM »
I'd replace the CMOS battery straight away, and I'd reseat the RAM, and possibly check the CPU is seated properly, and I'd definitely suspect the PSU.

brando

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »
Cheers. Do you have any idea why any of those things would cause the problems described  (other than reseating the RAM, which unfortunately hasn't helped)? I'd love to get to the root of it before I start replacing components...

contrex

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:30:09 PM »
Cheers. Do you have any idea why any of those things would cause the problems described  (other than reseating the RAM, which unfortunately hasn't helped)? I'd love to get to the root of it before I start replacing components...

The CMOS battery runs the onboard clock when the power is off. Time loss is a very hefty pointer to trouble in that area.

The power supply needs to provide clean stable power to the motherboard and disk drives. If it gets flaky you can get reluctant boot behaviour and erratic running.

The cpu takes a heavy current and needs to be well connected via its socket which has over 100 pins. Anything shaky or loose is bad.

HOWEVER, I note with a mixture of amusement and horror that you wrote "if I hit the computer hard enough..."! This in a post where you wonder why your computer is flaky!!! I would be tempted to take out the motherboard and examine it for cracks. I wonder if you appreciate how fragile computer components can be?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »
desktop needs a spanking....Thanks. I live for these moments.

Great  new  thread title............................. ;D
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

brando

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:07:39 PM »
Hee hee. Well, I'm not a complete idiot - when I say 'hard enough' I mean hard enough to get it going, not hard enough to crack the motherboard! We're still talking single finger hitting, actually. I'm afraid the problems pre-date my admittedly less than tender ministrations anyway; although the problems have got worse, I had the boot-up problem the very first time I tried to turn it on. Actually, though, do you think a cracked motherboard could cause these problems? There obviously could be cracks I can't see.

Thanks very much for the help. So, if you or anyone else doesn't know what might make a clock lose time both when the computer's on AND off (am I right in understanding that the CMOS battery affects the clock ONLY when the power's off?) then I suppose I should start with the power supply...or maybe I'm extra lucky and it's ALL those things...

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »
You should always consider economics.The CMOS battery is the
least expensive fix. Start there.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

contrex

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:22 PM »
Actually, though, do you think a cracked motherboard could cause these problems? There obviously could be cracks I can't see.

It's not impossible; if it's a no-name Chinese cheapo it might even have been made that way. The fact that the problem is so deeply fundamental and you've dismantled everything & rebuilt it again makes me suspect the motherboard and/or chipset.

tommy gusack

Intermediate
    « Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:11 AM »
    Your power supply is bad get a new one thats the only solution.
    Theres always.....always something to grab a hold on.

contrex

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »
    Your power supply is bad get a new one thats the only solution.

Tommy, that's what I am thinking myself now.