Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Odd noise + low frame rate problem  (Read 2549 times)

ImpossibleProblems

Odd noise + low frame rate problem
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:19:01 PM »
Here's what happens: I am playing a game. Let's say 20 FPS are produced. Then a high pitched noise begins (I don't really know from where, this is a lap top) and the FPS drop to like, 25-50% of what it should be, so 5 or 10 FPS. This makes programs very very slow. The noise and its effects randomly come and go. As soon as the noise ends, the frame rate improves again.

I don't know if it's strictly a rendering issue or a general speed one, but I only notice the effects when that heavy rendering is in effect. I'm guessing that even when the noise is in effect and harming rendering speed, other programs go just as fast as they ever did.

I wish I could tell you more, but I don't know what the problem is here. I really would like to toss the computer out of a window and get a good computer, but I can't really do that... :'(

Sharamall

Re: Odd noise + low frame rate problem
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Is it just any random game or only a certain game?

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:54:28 PM »
Possibly an overheating problem

Sharamall

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
Ona laptop there is a setting in the boot menu that changes the way it deals with overheating (if this is the problem). I believe the options are performance and silent modes. Performance leaves your CPU at 100% and turns on the fan. Silent slows the CPU down and does not turn on the fan. Maybe you're in silent mode and it slows the CPU.

ImpossibleProblems

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
Hmm, possibly, but there is no setting for it in the BIOS. It's a Compaq 905...is there any way I can check or change the setting? I would rather it crashed than throttled itself.

CPU Z confirms the speed of the processor is the same before, during, after the noise occurs. It's just...like...random.

For some reason I suspect USB is involved, because I have heard similar noise when the USB devices are used.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:56:50 PM by ImpossibleProblems »

ImpossibleProblems

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:24:54 PM »
I have learned some strange things.

I removed my USB internet adapter, and guess what? The noise stopped immediately! The computer works flawlessly...as long as it's not connected to the internet! I'm not sure if it's overheating or the cord is problematic, or what. I read some dells have a noise issue with bluetooth being disabled to save power, and I was able to turn off the "disable to save power" option for the USB root hubs. Just to be sure, I have plugged the adapter in directly (doesn't really fit). The noise still continues when data is transferred occasionally, but this is more of a performance query than a noise one. Just as long as THE noise, and not a similar USB sourced one goes, I am happy as I could be.

Honestly I don't know if I have it figured out, depends on if the noise/"processing interrupts" continue while online. I would rather have a PCMCIA adapter, but I bought one and it's like...25% as fast as the USB one. Ehh.

Strange problem, eh? I was just about to go reinstalling graphics drivers in desperation...