Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help  (Read 1928 times)

MsMimi

Please help
« on: October 27, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »
When I turn on the power the fans (3 of them) begin to spin seconds after turning on and spin for about 4-5 seconds and then stop. I switched to a bigger power supply. No help. I reapplied heatsink goop---no help. I removed the ram, same reaction. 

Can someone please advise what I might do next.

This is a Compaq Presario 6000
Thank you for ANY help.

Tcasey0478

Re: Please help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:22:27 AM »
So the computer is running without the fans on?

MsMimi

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
No, sorry, I should have said.  The computer appears to be completely dead when the fans stop turning and it continues to do this every time I try to start it.  Just the fans respond (after a few seconds), and then after a few seconds of turning, they also stop.  Then, nothing.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »
Was this PSU new or used ? ?
What make and wattage is it ? ?

If it was less than 30 bucks it may be dead on arrival.

What caused the condition to re-apply new thermal compound ? ? Is this a new processor ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MsMimi

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:21:37 AM »
The power supply was original 200 w and it was doing the same thing.  I purchased a new one $42.00 and it is 400 w. It didn't make any differences in what happened. 

The computer was very dirty and I thought the heatsink compound might be degraded, so I cleaned everything and applied the new compound.

That didn't help either.  Thanks for your help!