Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't start up  (Read 3567 times)

timeformime

Computer won't start up
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »
Hey everyone, I am having issues getting my desktop to start up. I have suspicions that it is a hardware problem, so let me start at the beginning.

I was inside my computer today with the intention of switching some fans around in my case and just generally cleaning it out with some compressed air. I opened it up, unscrewed and screwed the fans, and just gave it an all around air dusting. I unattached the CPU fan for no real reason then stuck it back in, and closed my PC up.

Next, I try to restart it. I see the familiar PA1 MVP logo (the name of my mobo) with the flashy background on the monitor for about 5 seconds, then the computer just dies. I try to restart it a second later and it literally just starts up momentarily and then dies again. I try several times more and the longer I wait, the longer it stays on, but never beyond 10 seconds and it never gets beyond the initial section with that motherboard logo. I tried switching the fans around thinking maybe that had something to do with it but to no avail.

List of my hardware:
Motherboard: PA1 MVP Extreme
GPU: Diamond Radeon x1600 pro
CPU: Pentium IV Dual Core (not sure of the exact speed)
RAM: G-skill ddr2 800 2x1gb
HD: Western Digital 250gb 7200 rpm

Any ideas as to what's wrong? I really would love to have my computer be functional again so any help is appreciated!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer won't start up
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:58 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

As you've been inside the box, hopefully having taken all due precautions against ESD, look for something simple like re-seating ram, connectors etc.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

timeformime

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »
Thank you for the response and yep, everything's connected up. I did check for anything that could be unattached as part of trying to figure out what's wrong. Is there anything that could cause an unexpected crash like this?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:23:18 AM »
I unattached the CPU fan for no real reason then stuck it back in, and closed my PC up.

Did you also remove the heatsink ? ?
If so you need to re-apply the thermal compound.
An excellent guide to this procedure can be found Here
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timeformime

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
Oh yeah, i did see the thermal compound in between the cpu fan+heatsink and the cpu itself. In that case all I need to do is reapply the compound and stick the fan and heatsink back on?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
Hopefully.
Make sure to follow the directions i linked to carefully.
I have seen machines refuse to boot for exactly this reason.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timeformime

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:34:30 PM »
Thank you so much! i'll order some arctic silver from newegg with the remover and see if it does the trick.