Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dissabling IP messanges  (Read 2914 times)

computer newbie

dissabling IP messanges
« on: December 13, 2004, 11:07:04 AM »
Hey All,
   I am using windows XP but I think some of the problem I am having has to do with DOS.  I am getting popups continually even when I am not using a browser.  I have already used Ad-Aware to scan and Spybot to scan.  I am pretty sure it isn't anything on my pc.  someone told me though, that people can message your computer using DOS and your IP address.  I use this feature constantly.  I use it through the net send command in DOS prompt.  The only thing I don't get is how people can be sending HTML through this.  And if I have to exept that there is a way to do this, I'm just not smart enough to completely understand it, I'm fine with that.  I at least want to know how to dissable the IP messanging though so other people will not be able to communicate with me through my IP address.  sure, I will miss talking to other computers on my LAN with this neat feature but if it stops my popup problems, I can make the sacrifice.
             thanksmuch for any help anyone can give me

P.S.  In the time it took me to write this message, around five minutes, I have recieved four popups.

Delboy

Re: dissabling IP messanges
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »
Hi, do you have MS firewall enabled? Or any other firewall? (Remember: only one software firewall per computer)
They should stop unsolicited inbound requests to messenger.
www.grc.com has a program to disable this called 'Kill the Messenger' or probably 'Shoot the Messenger' :)
I'm sure that if you search Google you will find plenty of info on how to secure your machine.

Derek.