Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: retaining info and programs from an old drive  (Read 3565 times)

duebele

retaining info and programs from an old drive
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:04:25 PM »
My old computer (Athalon 64 running XP OS ???) died.  I have a new computer now(AMD dual core  Athalon 64 4400, Vista OS).  The old hard drive with XP is fine.  I have it in an enclosure and can connect it with a usb cable.  Is there anyway I can run the files on the old drive without going through a virtual pc on vista?  Or what is the best way to transfer the files from the old drive(XP) to new computer (Vista)? 

krone2800

Rookie

Re: retaining info and programs from an old drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »
    My old computer (Athalon 64 running XP OS ???) died.  I have a new computer now(AMD dual core  Athalon 64 4400, Vista OS).  The old hard drive with XP is fine.  I have it in an enclosure and can connect it with a usb cable.  Is there anyway I can run the files on the old drive without going through a virtual pc on vista?  Or what is the best way to transfer the files from the old drive(XP) to new computer (Vista)? 

remove your old drive and put it on the new pc.make it slave to the new.then just copy your old file...
     :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: retaining info and programs from an old drive
    « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:58:14 AM »
    Any data on that drive can be copied/saved to the new drive.
    However if you are thinking you can just copy and run programs it just will not work.
    Programs need to be installed on the drive and in the OS they are going to run on...they cannot just be copied to a drive and used.
    You will have to re-install any of the programs you want to use on the new machine.
    But as i said all your data i.e. pictures, movies, text files etc can simply be copied and used as is...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "