Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: which antivirus program is best?  (Read 4262 times)

billiusthemook

which antivirus program is best?
« on: December 13, 2004, 03:45:46 PM »
I have full professional version of AVG anti-virus(thank you very much dl65) and it's fully updated.  Every time I boot up the pc it updates and then runs a full system scan.  After a while my pc started to suffer in performance and i couldn't figure out why.  I had experienced this problem before due to all kinds of -ware on a xp os with sp2.  Before I had to uninstall sp2 so that's what I did.  Performance increased noticeably.  Then because AVG didn't find anything after another full system scan I decided to use mcafee free scan from their website.  They picked up 7 new viruses.

Any suggestions as to what antivirus program I should get?  Any free ones as good as mcafee's?

Corrosive

Re: which antivirus program is best?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 12:02:06 PM »
I got into an arguement a while back with this comment, but I'll say it again. I don't bother with an Antivirus app any more. Vigilance is by far the best tool in your armoury.

Basically, don't ever run any executable attachments that come in the email. Ever. Especially if you never specifically asked for them.

Think about it. A friend of mine sent me an email and attachment that he wasn't too sure about. The text went (roughly) along these lines:
"Hi, i [sic] send this in order to have your advice!"
and in the "From" field was an unknown email address (which I later heard was forged anyway). Doesn't really take a genius to work out what's in the attachment, right?

Anyway, point made, back to the question. AV apps are much and such the same, and seeing as AVG is free I'd normally go with that - but it really is more down to personal preference than anything else. So long as you keep the virus definitions up to date, you're going to be safe enough.

A quick question: Did you regularly update AVG with the latest virus definitions? You should have.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 12:03:56 PM by Corrosive »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 12:30:20 PM »
I am NOT a McAfee person!!!!!!! I had McAfee firewall, took it off the cpu, and it casued BIG problems. That stupid firewall is what made me come here... (Which was kind of a good thing. lol)   I would strongly urge you to but Norton SystemWorks. That comes with Antivirus, and other good stuff for PC performance.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 02:12:29 AM »
anvir-personal edition free from majorgeeks.com   this program has found things norton never did?and you should have a virus program on your pc......not just for emails but surfing the net is a must......some websites have viruses in embeding in them.....the one i have listed above does not take all the hard drive resourses up....its your choice??

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »
As for spyware scanners..... I have SpySweeper. It works GREAT. I purchased it for $20.00. It's pretty cheap, and works great! Now, those are the qualities that I look for! lol

[glb]Flame[/glb]