Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS-SQL definitions  (Read 2816 times)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    MS-SQL definitions
    « on: October 29, 2007, 05:33:15 AM »
    Hello,

This is just a general question concerning the programatic background functionality of MS-SQL:

Does MS-SQL require a Windows 2003 Server, or can an administration software program also be ran on a PC server with good performace?

The reason why I am asking is because the software firm from which we bought the order processing software package pushed us into getting a MS-SQL Server, instead of using the pre-bought high-performance PC we especially got for this job. So they profited from us buying the software aswell as a new server.

The software does use MS-SQL database, but can a database generally not be executed the same way with a Windows XP Pro operating system? Or even with another server operating system on the high-performance pc?

I could think that the answer lies in that Windows Server 2003 is a 64bit o/s ? But does a PC not have 64bit operation systems?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MS-SQL definitions
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
    You can run sql server on an xp machine. And it would probably run very well. The reason to use MS Server 2003, is the security and management enhancements. It is also a much more stable os, requiring less attention.
    Another option is to install server 2003 on your suped up pc. There's nothing wrong with running a server on a desktop motherboard. Server motherboards will usually just give you the option of ECC memory, scsi, raid, and pci-x slots, which can all be very beneficial to a server environment, but not entirely necessary.

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:28:32 PM »
      Thankyou, interesting  ;) But does it need to be a 64bit XP version? If not, was is the difference to that with a standard 32bit o/s? I suppose mainly just for large enterprises - we are only a small firm of approx. 5 people with minor server requirements...

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »
      They make sql server for 32- and 64-bit processors
      It may also interest you that microsoft offers a free version of sql called sql server express...... I'm not sure what the differences are, but you may want to check it out.