Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VPN  (Read 2974 times)

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    VPN
    « on: October 30, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »
    I have a client that wants to access his work computer (XP Pro) from home using his XP Home computer.

Does anyone know how to set up a VPN with a dynamic IP thru a router?  I know that you can set them up thru services like dyndns.com, which uses their server plus client software to connect systems thru dynamic IP's. 

I've looked in Remote Desktop Connection, but it asks for an IP, which because he's on an internal network using a Linksys router as a NAT, won't see his internal IP.  I also have looked at sites that tell you what your IP is and you could use RDC for that but if the IP changes, that won't work.

Thanks  ;)

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: VPN
      « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 04:26:16 AM »
      hamachi. www.hamachi.cc Another example that might help.

You may have to fiddle with the firewalls when you use dyndns or hamachi.

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        Re: VPN
        « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 06:27:33 AM »
        Yeah, I'm familiar with Hamachi.  Cool little program and I have it set up on a couple of client systems.  I considered it too.  Thanks viking  ;)

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!