Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new build, computer won't start  (Read 5023 times)

tim_the_enchanter

new build, computer won't start
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »
I recently bought all the parts for a new system and finally had the time to put them all together, with not as much luck as I'd have liked.  Below is my problem...sorry if it's long, but I wanted to include as much info as I could.

Specs for my system:
CoolerMaster CM 690 case
Raidmax RX-530SS psu
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
c2d e4500
2 gb OCZ Platinum rev. 2
Powercolor x1950 pro 512 mb
samsung sata dvd/r
WD 250 gb sata HDD

~8 last night, here's what happens: I have everything plugged in, hit the power button on my case, the fans/LEDs start/light momentarily, for about a second or two, then turn off, then on again, off again, on again, and so on. If I try to turn the computer off with the power switch on the case, nothing happens, I have to hit the switch on the power supply in order to power down. Also, when the computer is trying to run, there's a faint "bzzzzt" noise when the fans/lights are on. My guess is that I have a faulty PSU, already have gotten an RMA number from newegg, but ask some questions around, and fiddle some more.

around 9:30: Hmm...OK, maybe progress has been made? Just went and checked the front panel connections, turns out I had the power LED on the CI connection. I moved the LED to the proper place (it has 3 prongs, but my case only has a socket for 2...just put it on there anyway). Plugged everything in and hit the switch...same thing fans on for a second, and then off again and the weird "bzzzt" noise. I scooted the case over a little bit to get a better look inside to see if I could pinpoint the noise, and lo and behold, the lights and fans stayed on! And then turned off again. I hit the power button again, it did the on/off/buzz for a second, and then it turned on full steam, the computer started to boot up and I at least got to the "insert system disc" prompt. Troubling thing I noticed though...as everything seemed to inexplicably be running smoothly all of the sudden, one thing that wasn't working was my cpu fan. Made sure nothing was interfering with it, but it all looked clear.

It was suggested that I pull the mobo out of the case, and hook the essentials up, to see what happens. I might try that later, but it was more than I wanted to fool with last night, but I did try unplugging the ATX_12V connector, b/c I had to stretch it way over my videocard and close to the cpu to plug it in (the PSU is on the bottom in this case). With that unplugged, I tried firing it up again. It did the on/off thing once, and then turned on, cpu fan running and all, BUT this time, there was no video signal or any sign of BIOS or anything, and the power/reset switches were unresponsive, had to power off with the PSU switch. Tried it again, same thing happened. Then I unplugged everything, reattached the ATX_12V, plugged everything back in and tried again. Started up OK (might've done the on/off thing...they all blend together now), but got to the boot screen at least, CPU fan was working and everything. Then all of a sudden, the computer shuts down. Try it again, same thing. Try it one more time, it does the on/off thing for maybe 7 cycles or so, and then everything appears to be running, but no video output and no response of the switches anymore. I think even if this PSU isn't DOA, it's still a POS. The ATX_12V connector JUST BARELY is able to plug in, and I'd need to rig up something to keep the wire out of the CPU fan (had to manually hold it out of the way in the latest test batch.)

Sorry for the huge post, but like I say, I'm guessing it has to do with the PSU. If anyone has any other guesses though, I'd sure like to hear them. I figure headaches are inevitable with a new build, but I've never experienced problems quite like this one before.

CyberHawk

Rookie

Re: new build, computer won't start
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
    Is the reset wire in your case touching anything?? It is usually a white single wire, that causes the computer to restart when it grounds to the case. This happened to me one time.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:37:45 PM »
    Because there are so many symptoms happening here it'll be some effort to track things down but here's what i would do.

Remove the MBoard from the case, place it on a rubber mat or a piece of cardboard and hook up ONLY the following;

PSU
    1 stick of RAM
    Mouse and keyboard
    Monitor ( if the MBoard has onboard video leave the vid card out for now cause you mentioned wiring issues with it in the case...)
    CPU and fan.

Power up and see if you get a proper POST. If so continue by adding 1 at a time the following;  testing with a cold boot after each item:
    Hard drive.
    If good continue...
    2nd stick of RAM
    If good continue...
    SATA DVD drive
    If good continue...

At this point you would have to install any OS on the HDD to continus testing further components such as the vid card etc.

But this is enough at this point and here are a few other things to check before proceeding further:

CPU and fan seated fully.
    Thermal Compound applied.
    Power leads to header 1 at the front of the case hooked up properly.

Let us know...

p.s. If at any stage of this procedure you get that buzzing sound and/or the intermittent power downs then it is the PSU and don't try to proceed or you risk damaging expensive components...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tim_the_enchanter

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:28:02 PM »
    OK, I did as suggested.  Took the mobo out, had it sitting on a cardboard box, only 1 stick of RAM, only mouse and keyboard connected.  I had to leave the vid card in b/c amazingly I don't have any VGA cables laying around.  When I plugged it in and hit the power, I got the same issue of the on/off, no power button response.  Any other suggestions before I RMA the PSU?  One thing that seemed weird to me was that the polarity of the reset switch is marked opposite of the power switch, does that seem right?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
    On the polarity issue double check at the MBoard manuf. website for a schematic diagram...
    Sounds indeed like the PSU.
    Only other thing it would be is the board itself but i'd wait to swap the PSU first.

tim_the_enchanter

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »
    All right...now a week later...  ::)

I returned the old PSU and bought a Thermaltake Purepower 500W instead.  Just pulled it out of the box and connected the bare essentials, and ZANG, all looks good!  Now to put everything back together and cross my fingers.

Word of advice to anyone out there that doesn't know better yet...DON'T BUY A RAIDMAX PSU!!!

tim_the_enchanter

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »
    Urrrghhh.  I know profanity isn't welcome here...just know that I'm using my powers of restraint right now.  Got everything put back together, got into the BIOS fine, I was just cruising around in it looking at all the options.  The only thing I changed was the order of boot devices, as I was in it, the computer suddenly shut down.  Turned it on again, everything seemed fine, so I shut down, unplugged everything, put in the second stick of RAM, plugged everything back in, and then thppppt...back to the same original problem.  Thought it might have something to do with the RAM, took out the second stick, tried to start again, and again, it wouldn't start.   >:(  I thought all was going well, but no such luck.  Any ideas?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:45 AM »
    At this point i would have to say you wound up with a faulty MBoard...

tim_the_enchanter

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »
    Interesting development...

This morning before I left for work, I looked inside the case to see if there could possibly be a short somewhere...didn't see anything that looked to be causing that.  One thing I did do, if you recall, the mobo has 3 prongs for the power LED but the connector provided with the case only had 2 female connectors.  I moved the connector from one set of prongs to the other set, and strange as it seems, things seem to be running fine.

I did the start up/shut down, adding a component each time, and everything seemed to be going smoothly.  Got up to the point of needing to install the OS, which I'll try to tackle later tonight.

Would something as simple as the LED be the cause of all my headaches so far? ??? ??? ???

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »
    Would something as simple as the LED be the cause of all my headaches so far?

Yes.

tim_the_enchanter

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »
     :-[ ::)  :D

Well, I feel a little more stupid now, but relieved nonetheless.

Thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »
    No need to feel stupid...
    After all you just worked yourself thru a pretty complicated problem, No ? ?
    Good to hear you are fixed up...it wasn't something major and you got yourself a quality PSU out of the deal.