Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: between Norton & Vista, I can not log on to my pc  (Read 8331 times)

jodi_l

between Norton & Vista, I can not log on to my pc
« on: October 30, 2007, 05:02:26 PM »
I had updated my virus scan with Norton Symantec (mistake) & it blocked nearly everything. Then a few weeks later,  I was prompted to install Vista because I was missing .dlls. I did this, but was not able to license it due to the fact that again, Norton was blocking me from hitting the internet. After the 3 days to get it licensed was up, now I cant even log on to the pc and I get a message saying so. My machine did run windows xp. I have booted up in safe mode, but can not delete the anti virus software and can not find the new software that keeps me from logging on. HELP! I have no clue how to get this resolved. I know if I could log on to the pc I could delete this stuff, but right now I just need help.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: between Norton & Vista, I can not log on to my pc
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »
I was prompted to install Vista
Do you have Vista CD?

jodi_l

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:52:33 PM »
No disk, it was a prompt to upgrade. I have automic updates turned on. It said something to the effect that I should because I was missing .ddls. Before all this trouble started, I would get 4 different msg's; 2 would say I was missing something and the other 2 looked to be encrypted, just small squares. Sorry I don't have exacts, I should know better, but at the time didn't think I would have issues.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:02:25 PM »
No disk, it was a prompt to upgrade.
Upgrade from what? There is no free upgrade of Operating System.
Wasn't it System Restore asking for some repairs?

jodi_l

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »
It was a box popped up from my tool bar saying I should upgrade from windows xp. Not once did I ever get anything about restoring.

I just tried to run a norton scan in safe mode & got a msg that I couldnt do that in safe mode. I also then put in the windows xp disk I have & booted saying to use the last working configuration I had (i dont think that did anything). Now I am at the sign on screen with a msg at the bottom that says 'this copy of windows is not activated. In order to be properly licensed, this copy of windows must be activated. If I try to log in, then an error pops up that says 'windows product activation - this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on. do you want to activate windows now?' I say yes, then can see my desk top but no icons, and another box opens that says 'activate windows' across the top with nothing in the body. It will sit there forever until I actually close it out. I do think this is just waiting because I can't hit the internet, but I wouldn't bet money on what I think :)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »
It was a box popped up from my tool bar saying I should upgrade from windows xp.
I've never heard about such a thing. As i said, there is no free upgrade from XP to Vista, so I have no clue what this is all about.

As for:
this copy of windows is not activated
message.
It normally happens, when you've made some major changes to your computer hardware, but I don't think, it's your case.
I hope, someone else will chime in here, but meanwhile you can check this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295

dairyman

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
It was a box popped up from my tool bar saying I should upgrade from windows xp. Not once did I ever get anything about restoring.

Microsoft would never give you a free upgrade to Windows Vista, so I can only assume it is spyware that told you to upgrade.

jodi_l

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:27:10 PM »
I checked out the link you sent. I decided just to follow the path lined out how to manually remove the script that interferes with windows activation. I got as far as step 3.5, I expanded notify, but I do not have a RESETS folder to right click on.

jodi_l

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:29:53 PM »
I tried to run a virus scan in safe mode, but could not per msg saying 'you can't do this in safe mode'. Do you know of anyway to get around this?

dairyman

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »
I just want to tell you that Norton is simply a useless resource hog.

So if possible, download and install AVG Free Edition, update and run a full scan in Safe Mode.

Make sure Norton isn't running while AVG is running!

jodi_l

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »
I figured out real fast that Norton is crap. I can't download what you have suggested because I can not hit the internet from my home pc since all of this started. I can take the ethernet cable out of my home pc and plug it in to my laptop and hit the internet just fine, so I know there isnt anything wrong with my dsl service or the modem. It's got to be the download! Just getting it located is another story.

dairyman

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
I had updated my virus scan with Norton Symantec (mistake) & it blocked nearly everything.

Click Here.
This document shows you how to remove Norton Symantec updates.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 07:03:45 AM »
Somehow i think there are some details missing here...

::)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jodi_l

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »
If there is any info I can pass on I will. I think I have told you everything, but I also dont know much about this, so I'm sure I'm leaving something important out.

dairyman

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 06:25:38 PM »
Make sure "Block All Connections" is not selected in Norton.