Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN connection for two homes  (Read 3223 times)

corndogbob

Topic Starter

LAN connection for two homes
    « on: November 03, 2007, 06:51:18 AM »
    I know that two computers hook up by router in the same home for game playing with each other. My neighbor wants to be able to play games-cards. scrabble, etc. with her daughter in another home. Is this done with a router and cable to mom's computer and a wireless setup on the daughters? How to I do this. She will think I'm the man if I can do this ;D but I will give credit mention to whoever can help so she'll know who the REAL man is or woman if applicable. Many thanks for any help.
    corndogbob

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: LAN connection for two homes
      « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:58:54 PM »
      Ok, I'm puzzled.
      Why do you talk about 2 houses? Your neighbor and her daughter live in different houses? Mother in one house, daughter in another house?

If she wants wireless connection she needs a wireless router. Wireless routers usually have connections for wired computers too. So, if they are close (if the computers are close I mean) it is very simple to use a single router to create a LAN network (local area network), wired and wireless in the same time: the computers can be connected to network with cables (so we have wired computers) or wireless (no network cable involved for a computer or more).

If they live in different houses (different regions of town/country etc) we will have to talk about what programs do they want to use, so I may answer properly.

For not talking for nothing please clarify situation (I'm a little dunce sometimes, you have to tell me like you do with small children, sometimes a little draw would help me even more :) ). Where lives who, what do they want to do, what do they want to connect. But if you would know how to ask the questions, you most certainly would know to solve the problem almost without our help. So, step by step: how many computers are involved (approximatively, you don't have to ask/know the "exact number")? What is their physical location? Are they close, in the same home or they are in different places in town? Or different houses, neighbors?

Sid

Apprentice
        • Experience: Experienced
        Re: LAN connection for two homes
        « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:59:37 AM »
        I know that two computers hook up by router in the same home for game playing with each other. My neighbor wants to be able to play games-cards. scrabble, etc. with her daughter in another home. Is this done with a router and cable to mom's computer and a wireless setup on the daughters? How to I do this. She will think I'm the man if I can do this ;D but I will give credit mention to whoever can help so she'll know who the REAL man is or woman if applicable. Many thanks for any help.

The first question you need to answer is:

How far away does the Daughter live?

It's possible to setup a network regardless of this, but the ease is much greater if they're only a door or two away from each other.

If they live on oposite sides of town you'll need to look at Virtual Private Networks (through the internet).

We'll also need to know the basics about both computers, like laptop/desktop, O/S, hardware and what kind of router they have (wired only, wireless, etc...)

Cheers chap, let's make you "the man" eh?  :)