Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving a Window Upward  (Read 2913 times)

d8less

Moving a Window Upward
« on: November 03, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »
Hello,

I know that it's possible to drag a window around by its title bar -- even to the point of moving 99.9% of it off-screen.  But I'm trying to find out if it's possible (in XP) to move a window upward even though the title bar and the upper part of the window would be off-screen as a result.   Right-clicking the title bar, clicking 'move,' and using the up arrow does, indeed, move it upward, but any movement of the cursor or hitting 'enter' (to try to 'set' it there) just causes the window to jump back fully on-screen (with the title bar visible).

Is what I'm asking even possible ?

Thanks !!

Scott

P.S.  I could have included an explanation of why I want to do this, but I thought I'd save that til later (if it's even relevant).   :)

contrex

Re: Moving a Window Upward
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »
But I'm trying to find out if it's possible (in XP) to move a window upward even though the title bar and the upper part of the window would be off-screen as a result.

I'll plump for a big fat "No".

P.S.  I could have included an explanation of why I want to do this, but I thought I'd save that til later (if it's even relevant).   :)

Of course it's relevant. We aren't question-answering robots; we are flesh-and-blood human beings with (possibly) more than an average amount of curiosity -- the more you can get us interested and motivated the better your chances of getting useful help. (rolls eyes) So tell us why you want to do this.

d8less

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:59 PM »

Of course it's relevant. We aren't question-answering robots; we are flesh-and-blood human beings with (possibly) more than an average amount of curiosity -- the more you can get us interested and motivated the better your chances of getting useful help. (rolls eyes) So tell us why you want to do this.

Hi, contrex

Thanks for the response.

Okay, but when you fall asleep, remember.... you asked for it. 

My preferred email client is OE6.  When I'm composing an email I'd like to have more of a vertical view of the body of the email.  Now, from the title bar down to the beginning of the composition area (where I'm actually typing the email) is over 1/3 of the screen height.  (Additionally,  I have my screen resolution set at 800 x 600, so vertical space is at a premium.) 

FWIW, I know Mozilla's Seamonkey' email client has the capability of minimizing the menu, toolbar, address/subject area and formatting bar, making the actual typing area virtually full screen (vertically speaking).  (TB does not have this feature, afaik.)  But I really don't like SM otherwise.  I prefer OE. 

But since OE is a very 'no frills' email client, I was trying to think of a way to regain some of the vertical area lost by my screen resolution (which I don't want to change) and menu, toolbar, formatting bar, etc. on the compose screen.  Since I can't change anything within the OE compose screen, I wondered if I could move the whole screen upward so that the menu, address/subject area, etc. are out of the way, leaving only the composition area visible.  I would then drag the bottom edge of the window down to the taskbar and have a 'poor man's full screen effect.'  It would only take a few seconds to do this -- not nearly as long as it took to type up this explanation of why I want to do it -- and would allow me to see more of my email at once (vertically). 

Are we bored yet ?

Anyway, as you say, it's likely a big fat "No" that this could be done.  But if you or anyone else has any other thoughts, I'd be glad to consider them.

Thanks again !

Scott

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:17:09 PM »
Have you tried using a higher resolution?  Must you use 800 x 600?  What size monitor do you have?

If composing a long email message, how about composing it in Notepad or WordPad instead of OE and copying it to OE?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 06:56:25 AM »
ThunderBird uses alot less real estate in the main screen and is FREE...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

d8less

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
Have you tried using a higher resolution?  Must you use 800 x 600?  What size monitor do you have?

If composing a long email message, how about composing it in Notepad or WordPad instead of OE and copying it to OE?

Hi, soybean,

Thanks for the response.

1.  I'm afraid I do need the resolution where it is, because I use a shared computer (and it's mostly used by the other person to play Pogo games, which are best viewed at the 800 x 600 resolution). 

2.  Yeah, I thought of using Notepad or Wordpad, but I was trying first to see if I could figure something out using OE and w/o going into some other program.

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with things as they are (or eventually use Notepad, as you suggest).

Thanks again !

Scott

d8less

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:15:42 PM »
ThunderBird uses alot less real estate in the main screen and is FREE...

Hi, patio

Yes, I have tried TB but found it kind of glitchy (on my computer, at least).  And I tried 4 different versions of it !  And, as I vaguely implied in one of my previous posts, I have tried SeaMonkey, which has the feature I'm after and wasn't as temperamental as TB was for me.  (And I don't think TB has the function I referred to.)   But I find OE to be smoother and more refined, and it's sufficient for my purposes at this time.  So I thought I would try to find a 'workaround' for its space limitation.  (You'd think moving a window partially off-screen (upward) wouldn't be such a problem for Windows.)

As I mentioned to soybean, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with things as they are.   :(

(I have, btw, tried the Windows Live Mail Desktop beta program.  It does have some improvements over OE (like toggle buttons for the preview/reading pane and folder pane) but is still limited in the area of space it takes up (vertically) for writing emails.  *sigh*)

Anyway, thanks for the comment.  I haven't ruled the Mozilla software out entirely.   ;D

Scott

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
I'm suprised you had trouble with ThunderBird...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

contrex

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »

This is somebody who finds Outlook Express "more refined"...

d8less

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:01:14 PM »

This is somebody who finds Outlook Express "more refined"...

;D  Well, as I said, it was my experience on my computer that TB was not always well-behaved.  E.g. it would always get hung up 'attaching' whenever I tried to save an email draft that included an emoticon or two.  And it would not send an email as a result.  (The helpful people at the Mozilla forum couldn't resolve the issue, despite the fact that a few other people noted having the same issue.)  I never had a problem doing that with OE.  Smooth as silk.

Sometimes the status bar in TB would go blank and when I would click on a folder, say my storage folder, it would not show the number of emails it contained.  I would have to close TB and reopen it to get the status bar info back.  Sometimes I would just lose the cursor when typing an email.  It was still active, but not visible.  Again I would have to close TB and reopen to get it back.  (I have found these minor annoyances true in Seamonkey as well -- except for the draft-saving one.  That's why I initially switched to SM: because it would not get hung up saving drafts with emoticons.  I also switched because people at the SM forum said it used less resources than having FF and TB open at once.)

Anyway, all I meant by 'more refined' in my last post is that in my (albeit limited) experience OE has never given me grief.  It has always worked smoothly and I have never had reason to worry about an email being saved, sent, deleted, lost, etc.  It's boring to look at, for sure, and functionally limited, but it has what I need for my present email needs. 

As for TB, I hope it can continue to develop, even though (from what I understand) Mozilla has let it go in order to concentrate on FF.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Boring Scott   ::)