Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Too Many System Restores  (Read 3704 times)

KMB

Too Many System Restores
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »
First off, i use vista. I recently got my hp laptop, and i was deleting/uninstalling the un needed stuff off of it, when i accidentally deleted something i wasnt sure of. (it wasnt anything important, i know this now.) well i did a system restore and it loaded up the program i deleted. well it wasnt anything important so i wanted to undo the restore, then it gave me an error and wouldnt let me do it. so i tried another restore and everytime i kept trying id get an error, so finally i did a system restore another way on my computer, were it reverts the look to a classic style while its restoring, and that was successful. (im not sure what the difference between the two system restores were, but thats the only way i could do it. it kind of shuts the computer down when it does it, then tells you if its successful before restarting whereas the normal one tells you after restarting.) then i made the settings and all that jazz to my specifications and everything has been fine. my virus protection advised me to clear out all old restore points, which i did. anyway my question is, is too many system restores bad for your computer? and why did i get all those error messages, is there a limit to how many you can do? why was i able to restore it a different way but not the normal way?

Also a possible unrelated matter? when i first got my laptop it loaded up fast, and now (which im nervous that all the system restores did this even though i did virus scans and system health checks that checked out okay) it loads up normally to the sign in screen and then it takes 2 minutes to load up to the desktop, it stays black with the pointer and an occasional hour glass pops up. then it loads up after 2 minutes everytime. why is it doing this, does anyone have this problem? (i checked out different websites, and people said its because there is too many things starting up, people said that its a vista download, people said its the same with theres and that if my computer doesnt have a detected virus or anything of that nature and that if its running okay to not even bother.)

someone please let me know, im a bit upset, this is a 3 week old computer. thanks for any help you can give me.

-Kate

FluffynTex

Re: Too Many System Restores
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:53:11 PM »
I'm booting this back up to the top of the list for Kate. It's been 4 days and  no one has given her any ideas as to what is wrong.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »
There may be several possible causes:
1. To many startups, too many services.
2. Something was screwed during that removing of un-necessary stuff, and System Restore wasn't able to to fix it.
3. After the above removal, some registry entries were left behind.
4. An infection (I'd say, less likely, since your computer is only 3 weeks old).

To start sorting thing out,
- install Autoruns:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/AutoRuns.mspx
After installation, click on "Logon" tab, go File>Save As, save it as a text file, and post it back here.
Click on "Services" tab, save it as a text file, and post it back here.
- install, and run "CCleaner":
http://www.ccleaner.com/
to remove (among other tthings) registry leftover
- install, and run "Serviwin":
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html
(will be used in next step)
- we'll check for infections later

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:58:46 AM »
I would take advantage of the Warranty and have them restore the machine back to Day One condition, and consider it a lesson learned.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "