Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with my computers CPU?  (Read 2552 times)

lukey52

Problem with my computers CPU?
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:31:48 AM »
Hello everyone,

The last month or so my computer has been going through this very strange period. Whenever you switch it on at the power then press the button on the computer itself it makes a funny sort of sound and the monitor turns into standby. If I then switch the plug on and off and try again it will boot but it takes me to the setup page. Here it tells me I have a new/changed cpu installed and must set the default cpu speed (the computer will only continue to load if I select Manuel) After this is loads up and everything is fine apart from the system clock. It seems to "freeze" when the computer is not turned on (something that never used to happen before) so now if i go on it before school it says (like today) it said it was 01:44am. There have been times when it also does not even have the right date... So maybe someone has had this problem or knows what is going on?

I don't know if this will help at all but my computer is a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+ 1.26 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

the computer is running XP home addition and im not short of space on the hard drive (16 gigs free still). I have not actually changed anything to the computer or installed anything that would cause this to change. I have run several virus scanners (yeh I don't know what im doing >>) in the hope that was what it was.

Help me! thanks

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem with my computers CPU?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:33:01 AM »
How old is your pc?   The changing date and time is a good indication that your CMOS battery should be replaced.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

lukey52

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:05:40 AM »
hmm i have had it about 4 years :D

how complicated/expensive would a new battery be? is this something i could do myself (i have little knowledge of the inside complexities of a computer)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:23:16 AM »
It's easy enough to do. This is what it looks like:

They are available at any computer store...even most Wal-Marts. Part # CR2032.
All that is involved is removing a side panel or the case...carefully prying out the old one and snapping the new one into place. There is a spring loaded clip that holds it in place you just need to be careful to not damage the clip taking the old battery out.

As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lukey52

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 04:51:59 PM »
ok great thanks i'll try to get hold of 1 from a computer store (england :p) and hopefully next post I can say that the problem is fixed!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »
Take your time and look at things carefully and you should do fine...

And Welcome to Computer Hope !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "