Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow system/ programs not responding  (Read 4169 times)

stephie2

Slow system/ programs not responding
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »
I have windows XP
Service Pack2
Intel celeron processor 564 MHz - 128 Mb of ram
I can tell you right off I dont know 1/10th as much as the posts & replys I have read so be patient. I dont know exactly how to address some of my issues. Everything I know about a computer has been through trial & error or from the kids!
I originally had Windows 98, upgraded to XP.
I don't have that many programs or files I have added but I dont have a lot of hard drive or memory left. I would really like to know what to do to return my computer back to good running condition. I see their are files for windows 98 still on here. Are those necessary. Can I backup & remove all programs and start over?
Please don't think I am dumb. I want to learn
I have a program System Mechanic 7 I thought would help me resolve some issues but I think some of the files have been moved around and if I try to change something back to work right the next time the program scans it changes it again.
It is not recognizing my Norton Antivirus 08
ALSO My computer always starts up as if it were not shut down properly & wheen you exit programs you recieve message program not responding/ if you choose to close you will lose unsaved data / cancel / return to windows
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 12:27:53 PM by stephie2 »

smlh89450

Beginner

Re: Slow system/ programs not responding
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
    I don't think that your computer's problem is so much of a software issue as a hardware issue.  Your processor might have been considered fast a few years ago, but a processor that is 564 MHz is extremely slow in today's world (the best processors are either dual core of quad core processors which can be found on www.intel.com or www.amd.com).  Also, 128 Mb of ram is an extremely small amount of ram.  Upgrade it do at least 512 Mb.  If you have a desktop computer, adding ram should not be a problem.  I recommend either buying a new computer or upgrading some of the components.
    Hope this helps!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »
    As has been said, hardware upgrades should be your main concern.
    For Windows XP you should look at at least 512Mb of RAM, 128Mb is very low.
    A faster processor would also help, but with the motherboard you have I think it may turn out to be more cost effective to replace the machine.
    But, don't give up hope.
    What's this PC mainly used for?

stephie2

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:09:06 PM »
    Thanks! It is an older computer & I have 2 more but I always seem to use this one. Actually I mostly use this one to search the internet & e-mail. We have a small trucking company and I communicate with our customers and locate freight. I just hate to give it up. I may look into some upgrades though. It is so old no one else would want it and I hate to see something that still has life in it go to waste. If I remove everything but Word, my email, antivirus & internet would that make much of a difference?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »
    OK, here's my advice for that machine.
    1. Buy some more RAM.  Head over to www.crucial.com and sue their memory advisor tool to find out what you need, then shop around.  If you're not sure what to do at this stage, ask more questions, it's the best way to learn.  Get at least 512Mb of RAM at the highest speed your board supports if it is cost effective.  More RAM is probably the main thing that will help speed up your PC.
    2. Perhaps buy a newer/faster hard drive, one with as much space as you will need.  This will speed up many things.
    3. Maybe upgrade the CPU, however I think eBay is the only place you could go and I know many people are wary of buying components from there.
    4. Back up all data you want to keep onto an external drive, CD, or something like that.  This should include music, letters, videos, and anything else that you want to keep.
    5. Reformat and perform a fresh install of Windows XP.

Basically, with a few upgrades and some maintenance procedures, that PC could happily chug along for a while yet, as long as it's not used for anything too taxing.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
      if it is going to cost more to upgrade than to buy a new computer you would  be best buying a new one. About it going to waste, there are companys who will fix it up and donate it to charitys for people who cannot afford them