Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Secure web conferencing  (Read 3112 times)

kristi_joana

Secure web conferencing
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:19:33 PM »
I am looking for web conferencing appliance that is reliable especially with security concern. I am a lawyer by profession and sometimes I need web to discuss my cases. Can anyone recommend any software/hardware combination appliance that would suit my needs? Thanks in advance.

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: Secure web conferencing
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:09:38 AM »
    Hi.
    Maybe this helps: http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.shtml
    You need someone who knows how to install this application - this is the "server" and not the "client" application (computer jargon).
    As client application (I mean installed on your computer) you may use some information from here: http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/#chooseclient
    or here:
    http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml

When I read your demand, I understood that you are looking for an "instant messenger" client (computer jargon). But without the server secured, your communication is still unsecured and for that I mentioned first the server.

If you want me to help you more, please give me more information. I placed this information based on my readings (magazines, articles on internet etc), I don't know a similar offer from a software company - and pay attention, when you use AIM, yahoo messenger, Messenger Live (Microsoft IM client) the information is considered to be their property also (because is "processed" by their servers). I didn't hear about cases where such a company would spy conversations but you never know who has access to your discussions. Of course, it depends on the importance (magnitude?) of the cases you are working on. I suspect you don't sue governments ;)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Secure web conferencing
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:07:27 AM »
    What about using a forum for this, a private forum?  Do you have a website?  If so, your hosting service may offer one or more free hosting software packages that can easily be installed by logging onto your web server account and installing it from a control panel. 

As administrator, you can limit access to registered users who must be logged on the forum with their username and password before they can not only post messages, but even to view the forum.  In other words, the contents of the forum would not be open to public viewing, as is the case with forums like computerhope.com; only logged on members could view messages.

If you need to use the web for communicating about cases with numerous other parties, the forum approach would be much easier to manage, in my opinion, since you would not need to set up some type of "conferencing" software with each user.