Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista won't boot  (Read 6583 times)

lordvader781

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Vista won't boot
    « on: November 19, 2007, 05:55:38 PM »
    I'm not sure if this should be posted here or under hardware.  Anyways, my sister has a Compaq Presario C501NR notebook with Vista Home Basic.  Recently it has stopped booting. At first it gave me an error that the file ntdll.dll was corrupt.  I tried using the HP Recovery Manager, but was unsuccessful.  I then ordered the recovery disc from HP.  After receiving the disk I put the disk in the drive and it booted up to the HP Recovery Manager.  It reformatted the hard drive, created a partition for a recovery image and then installed the image on the drive.  It said to restart the computer and then press F11 to complete the process.  This is where I run into problems.  Pressing F11 doesn't do anything except beep.  As it attempts to boot it gives me the error 0xc00000e9 stating that there is a problem communicating with a device.  In the BIOS I ran a test on the hard drive.  After about 15 seconds it says "#1 - 07 Fail." I have tried everything I know, but as I am a programmer and don't deal with hardware that much, I don't know what to do next.  Any help would be great.

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: Vista won't boot
      « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »
      Sounds like the harddrive has failed.  Before running out and purchasing a new one, however, try this first:

Unplug anything connected to the computer.  This includes any mice, printers, game controllers, PCMCIA cards, anything "extra," to see if something's causing problems.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:49:05 PM »
      Yeah...error "0xc00000e9" indicates some problem with loading a driver, so "Anodoin" suggestion may help.

lordvader781

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:27:05 AM »
        I disconnected everything from the computer and that did nothing to help.  This is rather annoying since my sister hasn't even had this computer for a full year yet.  I guess I'll just have to get a new drive.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
        The BIOS test is not that extensive...travel to the drive maker's site and DLoad their free diagnostics and run it...
        If it is under a year you qualify for a brand new one Free.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
          « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:02:02 PM »
          you did post it in the right section. hard drives can wear out easily

konvict

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 08:18:29 AM »
          Call HP/Compaq free 24/7 technical phone support At 800-474-6836