Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem With Speakers.  (Read 2735 times)

Computer Owner

Problem With Speakers.
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »
Hi. A couple of hours ago, the sound stopped working on my computer. When I click on the audio setting on the Control Panel, it keeps telling me I've got no speakers hooked up. I've encountered this once before, a couple of days ago. I merely turned off the coputer, let it sit for a day, and when I came back, everything was fine. However, this is the second time this has happened (with the speakers), and I would rather not be forced to let the computer sit, unused, for long periods of time whenever I want sound. I have tried reconnecting the speakers and restarting the computer. Neither has worked. I am using Windows XP, and my computer is roughly three years old. I bought the speakers when I bought the computer, and they were fairly cheap ($29.99). Is this a normal thing to have happen to speakers after a period of time? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Computer Owner

Re: Problem With Speakers.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:23 PM »
I've just plugged a pair of headphones into my speakers, and I'm hearing some static. The static sounds louder when I increase the volume on the speakers, and fades away when I decrease the volume. Does this mean my speakers still work? Why isn't my computer recognizing them?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:47:20 PM »
    Computer Owner ......  It's possible, that there's nothing wrong with the speakers or headset, but rather the actual sound card.  It heats up as the machine is used.... and things expand , creating a poor or no connectionand the sound output stops. You let things cool off they contract and the sound is hear again. The best way to test this is to try installing another sound card( perhaps borrow one from someone you know). 

How long does the audio work before it shuts down ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Computer Owner

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »
    Thanks. I'll try to see if I can wrangle up another sound card. Today, the audio was working for about two hours before it shut down. It didn't work at all the first time.

Computer Owner

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
    I just got an error message (unrelated to my speaker problem), and it was accompanied by that little noise that you hear when an error message pops up. Why am I getting some noises (well...one noise) and not others?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:08:13 PM »
    When your sound works, you actually are playing some music, video, or you mean, that you're just able to hear regular Windows sounds, like new mail, warnings, opening, closing windows, etc.?

Computer Owner

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:10:27 PM »
    I'm just able to hear regular windows sounds.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
    I'll try to see if I can wrangle up another sound card.
    I don't want to speculate anymore, if you're able to get another card. Probably, it's the best way to eliminate basic reason of your problems.