Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need TV tuner software  (Read 3271 times)

Dead_reckon

Need TV tuner software
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
I have searched the web, and tried many different TV tuning utils on this old TV tuner card i have, but i have yet to find one that works with it.

I do not know anything about the card other than the fact that it is some Conexant card with the BT848 (brooktree) chipset, and some phillips tuner with a cable in/out, and a composite/s-video in, the composite and s-video work, so i know that either the tuner its self is bad, or the software i am using is not compatible, i tested the composite and S-video with this cheap durabrand dvd player that was laying in the living room, and, to prevent someone asking what i am sure would've been the first question, yes, the cable is connected to the cable in jack, and it is functional, cable signal is crystal clear with two TV's. i have tried several, one being ChrisTV, i do not remember the half dozen others i have tested, but, post any you can find that may work with the BT848 chipset and that can actually tune channels rather than just view the static of channel 1.

EDIT: the tuner is from '96, if it helps, i pulled it out of an old gateway, i think it was a P5-266 or something, i know it was PX-266, X being the unknown number.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Need TV tuner software
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »
How about this source?  Did you try them?   See WDM Video Capture Driver for Bt848 / Bt849 / Bt878 & Bt879 Chipsets.

BTW, Dead_Reckon, your avatar is a whopping 80 times larger file than necessary.  Let's do the world a favor and tame that 198309 bytes monster.  Here's an optimized edition (attached), weighing in at 2,451 bytes; please use it.   

[getting disk space - attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:35:40 PM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
Nicely Done...as usual Soybean !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead_reckon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:19:07 PM »
How about this source?  Did you try them?   See WDM Video Capture Driver for Bt848 / Bt849 / Bt878 & Bt879 Chipsets.

BTW, Dead_Reckon, your avatar is a whopping 80 times larger file than necessary.  Let's do the world a favor and tame that 198309 bytes monster.  Here's an optimized edition (attached), weighing in at 2,451 bytes; please use it.   

Thanks, but, i've tried those drivers, its the only way i could get it to install, still wont work though. BTW, i mis-linked the avatar, i have a smaller one in my photobucket i need to link it too (if i can find it).

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:39:24 PM »
Is a new card an option.  Looks like you may need to just write-off that old card you have.  Here's what newegg.com has to offer: TV card.

Regarding the avatar, why hunt for it in your photobucket account?  Just take the one I attached and use it; right click on it, save it to your hard drive, then upload it to photobucket.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:17:54 PM »
The attachment didnt show up earlier, so i didnt bother. needed a different avatar anyway. but i will save the CSS one for later use. anyway, i was considering a newer card, don't have the money at the moment, all my money is being focused into my new inspiron laptop i'm gonna order monday, $60/m, pretty pricey. PM me if you want the specs of it. anyway, this is the TV tuner i was considering because of its relatively low price, and common chipset:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815122005

i have a couple old Leadtek winfast video cards that are good for there time, and i'm only expecting a minimal quality out of the card. Plus i can turn my computer on/off with that remote, which helps, because i am uber lazy at times.