Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system configuration utility doesn't like change  (Read 3613 times)

reisender

system configuration utility doesn't like change
« on: December 17, 2004, 06:35:17 AM »
For the first time since installing English windows XP and installing all of the things I wanted to, I used the system configuration utility and deleted about 9 of the startup programs.  I checked them all out with the following website http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
most of them being the extra programs I added.

Now when I restart windows, every time I get this message in a pop-up with the heading System Configuration Utility.

"You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.  The system configuration utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility."

Then there is a checkbox saying
"Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utlity when windows start: "
then a click box OK.

So it sounds like it's demanding I make the change.  
if I check the box, it means the system config won't launch and my changes won't happen each time?  Is that right?
thus far, I left the box unchecked, clicked OK and it lead me back to system config screen.  From there I can cancel, and I'm fine.  
But i want to avoid doing this for every startup.

Any ideas?

John-Paul

Re: system configuration utility doesn't like chan
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 08:16:33 AM »
ideas - yes - tick the box then click ok.  What it's actually asking you is whether you want to have system configuration NOT launch everytime you start up - it's like it's saying "do you know you've made changes" and ticking the box then clicking OK says "yes, I know I've made changes and they're fine, now go away and leave me alone".

If you do as it is asking you and tick the "Normal startup" box, it will actually undo the changes you have made to start-up applications and start with all of them.

hope this helps.

reisender

Re: system configuration utility doesn't like chan
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 09:02:05 AM »
many thanks.
I may be retarded, but the language used by sysconfig wasn't very clear.  
Case closed
;D