Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programs not loading after replacing RAM  (Read 2270 times)

positiveventuresllc

Programs not loading after replacing RAM
« on: December 15, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
I am having difficulty with a program loading after I replaced my RAM.  I have an EMachines T5224 that came with 1 gig of RAM running Vista.  I decided to increase the amount of RAM by purchasing 2- 1 gig PC5300 DDR2 DT sticks.  I replaced the existing 512MB sticks.  After replacing the RAM, some programs would not load.  When attempting to open them, they would display the initial loading screen then hang with a never ending hourglass.  I was able to get most of them to work by reinstalling the application.  However, there is one program I cannot get to run that ran perfectly before the memory upgrade.  When I attempt to open it up, I get a brief hourglass and then nothing.  I look in Task Manager and the program does not appear in either the applications or process list.  I have tried repairing, uninstalling/reinstalling, rebooting, and the like and cannot get this program to load.  The program is Zeus by Cyber-Robotics.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Programs not loading after replacing RAM
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:48:37 AM »
After replacing the RAM, some programs would not load.  When attempting to open them, they would display the initial loading screen then hang with a never ending hourglass.  I was able to get most of them to work by reinstalling the application.
Think about it.  Does reinstalling applications after adding RAM make any sense?  No.  You've added RAM.  That should make your computer perform better.  That's usually the reason for increasing RAM.  Nothing about increasing RAM should necessitate reinstalling applications.

You need to confirm that you bought the right memory and that it's properly installed.  How did you make the memory selection?  What brand and exactly what product did you buy?  Where did you buy it?

If you right click on My Computer, how much memory is Windows reporting? 

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: Programs not loading after replacing RAM
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »
     there really is no way that replacing ram should have caused all your problems, as an old saying goes " I have done it a hundred times " and the only problem I come across is dead or faulty ram sticks.

remove the ram, then replace in the opposite slot them try again. make sure they are firmly seated in the slot and the end clips are in the notches,
    check that the bios is set at 533 and not 800 as the type of ram for that particular computer is 533 maximum 2 GB type should be PC4200,
    if you are trying the faster ram PC5300 DDR2 DT the motherboard may not be able to work with it, and that is why you have problems.
    the full specification for this computer can be seen at:- http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T5224
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.