Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about making a backup of game  (Read 3832 times)

tattooyourpet

Question about making a backup of game
« on: December 17, 2004, 07:52:33 AM »
I need to make a backup of my daughters SIMS 2 game. She has downloaded A LOT of stuff (skins,lots,houses,etc.) from the net. Can I make a backup of her game with everything that she has added to it? If so, How do I go about doing that? I have Nero Express, Nero Backitup and NeroVision Express 2 SE.  Will a CD have enough space or do I need a DVD? In my add/remove programs in the control panel, it says that the size of the SIMS 2 game is 2,807.00MB.
How do I go about installing it after I get it onto disk? Will it run and install like a regular install disk when I put it into the computer?
I'm planning on doing a complete restore on my computer using the DVD restore disk it came with, that's why I need to copy her game with all the add-ons she's made. I'm very computer illiterate too, in case you didn't already know, so, I'm so very sorry for all the stupid questions. Thanks so much.
Stephanie

Corrosive

Re: Question about making a backup of game
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 11:23:59 AM »
I doubt that you'll need all that much space - you might even be able to get it into a floppy (though a regular CD is probably a safe bet).

I can't give you any specific advice on The Sims 2 (because I don't have it, and wouldn't buy it), but most games store the savegames and modifications into seperate files and folders. You're best bet is to look into the directory you installed the game into.

The files and/or folders in question are usually sensibly named, so finding them shouldn't be all that difficult. Copy these onto the CD/DVD you want to use and whenever you need back-up the files, just copy the files into the appropriate place and the game will sort the rest out.