Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with rebooting  (Read 1937 times)

Cali

Problems with rebooting
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
I have been having problems with my computer starting up for a about a month now.  I think it may be the graphics card, but I would like to know for sure before I buy a new card.
Upon starting up the computer, everything seems normal, until it goes to the "window is starting" screen.  Sometimes it just hangs there, while other times it will go to a black screen afterwards. 
I suspect it is the graphics card, because it has been overheating and I have had to blow a fan directly into the case to keep it at a cooler temperature. 
My computer is an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core with 1 GB of DDR ram.  The motherboard was replaced about six months ago and is an Asus A8V-VM SE.  The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6200.  The computer other than the motherboard is about three years old. 
Are there any home diagnostics I can do on the computer to find out if it is the graphics card?  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problems with rebooting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:28:43 PM »
The best way to diagnose if it is the card would be to swap it into a known working machine...install the drivers for it and see if it does the same thing.
If it does chances are pretty good that it's the card at fault.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "