Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: monitor shows strange pattern when pc is turned on  (Read 2959 times)

annyksa

monitor shows strange pattern when pc is turned on
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:12:14 AM »
Hello all, i recently bought a new hp desktop computer, prior to that by about 3 months i bought a viewsonic flatscreen monitor(the one that has usb ports and charging for ipod), they worked fine together for about a week or two. now everytime i turn the computer on for the day---the monitor shows patterns and not the windows. the patterns are either blue stripes, or orange and pink geometrical shapes, usually the patterns change every few seconds, never taking me to the windows. i have to turn the pc off and turn it back on, then i get windows, sometimes it asks me how i want to start the computer, and sometimes it doesn;t. i have tried turning the pc on first, or turning the monitor on first, neither gives good results. any help is appreciated, thanks:)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: monitor shows strange pattern when pc is turned on
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:33:03 AM »
This sounds to me like the video card/chip is going bad...but it could also be the monitor.
Double check to make sure the monitor connections are secure.
If they are and the problem is still there then you need to hook the monitor up to another machine...if it does the same thing then the monitor has issues.
If it's fine then it's the video card/chip on your new machine...Contact hp immediately and take advantage of your warrranty.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "