Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop and desktop unite  (Read 3109 times)

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    laptop and desktop unite
    « on: November 13, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »
    i have just bought a laptop and i want to connect it with my existing desktop.

i have wired internet connection but i have a wifi dongle which i plug into the desktop.
    i am able to access the internet through the laptop using the wifi dongle but i want to be able allow the desktop and laptop share files and stuff.
    so that the things on the desktop can be accessed through the laptop.

i have tried fiddling around with setting up networks in control panel but i cannot seem to get it to work.

thank you for any help.

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: laptop and desktop unite
      « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:53:42 PM »
      You have to connect those to the same network. I don't understand from your post if both the desktop and the laptop are connected through wireless or one is wired and the other is wireless, who has access to internet (or who doesn't).

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »
        the desktop is connected to the internet with a wired connection. the desktop has a usb wifi dongle which sends out a wifi single and the laptop uses that to connect wirelessly to the internet.

i want to be able to share files and stuff.

thanks for your help and sorry for not making myself clear in my first post.

Sid

Apprentice
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »
          Not a problem, in fact, really easy to sort out.

Use the Wireless Network Wizard included with Windows...J/d.

Or, log on to the dongle's configuration page, and enable file sharing in that, and then right click the folders you wish to share, go to "sharing and security" and configure to share it, and sorted.

So I'm paraphrasing, and might have got the exact words wrong, but it is quite straight forward.

viking

Adviser
          • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
            « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »
            yesterday, you have to check user access rights to your computer, firewall settings. I don't have the time to go into details right now, try Sid's solution and tell us if you succeed.