Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista and Spam  (Read 3786 times)

onepaced

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Vista and Spam
    « on: November 11, 2007, 03:48:49 AM »
    Hi all, I'm running Vista with Norton 360 but I'm still getting an awful lot of spam. Can anyone recommend a spamkiller that will run with Vista? Thanks v much! ;)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Vista and Spam
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:26:53 PM »
    First, don't provide your main email address everywhere you can.

To start with, most email programs have built-in spam filters. What email program are you using?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    « Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:43:49 AM »
    Also, log on to your email via your web browser, if possible, and see whether your ISP provides you some options for weeding out spam BEFORE you download mail to your computer.

onepaced

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:41:12 AM »
      Thanks for the info. I'm running Outlook

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:30:08 AM »
      Again, can you access your email via a WebMail interface, i.e. via your web browser?  Many ISP's provide that capability even if you download your email to Outlook or Outlook Express. 

I was an Earthlink user until a forced change in ISP about 5 months ago.  With Earthlink, I used Outlook Express to receive POP mail, but I could also access my mail by going to Earthlink.net and logging onto WebMail.  And, Earthlink provided options to control spam BEFORE it got to my computer when I downloaded to Outlook Express. 

You should find out whether your ISP offers such features.  They may have it, and you're just not aware of it.

And, regarding Outlook, is some junk mail going to Outlook's Junk E-mail folder?