Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: when booting, fan starts HD feels like working, no lights  (Read 13862 times)

skyblu1950

when booting, fan starts HD feels like working, no lights
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:10:29 PM »
when I try booting, the fans start, the screen stays black and orange light stays same, no lights on keyboard, mouse, front of tower or anywhere else.  MB is BFG Tech custom built PC. I've reseated everything, replaced everything, replaced monitors, cords, wall plug , everything common I've tried, Any ideas?

phoenix910

Hopeful

Re: when booting, fan starts HD feels like working, no lights
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:41 AM »
    Is this one that you've just recently made? As in just making now - or has it been working for a while? I had a similar problem once, and it was because I didn't seat the motherboard properly on the brass mounts initially, and so the board had short circuited partially. If this is newly built and there are no lights on the case, this could either be due to this (possible) short circuit, or it could be that you don't have them plugged in correctly on the motherboard. Let me know any other info that you have or have tried.

-Stephen

skyblu1950

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 05:09:45 AM »
    Is this one that you've just recently made? As in just making now - or has it been working for a while? I had a similar problem once, and it was because I didn't seat the motherboard properly on the brass mounts initially, and so the board had short circuited partially. If this is newly built and there are no lights on the case, this could either be due to this (possible) short circuit, or it could be that you don't have them plugged in correctly on the motherboard. Let me know any other info that you have or have tried.

-Stephen
    No, I did not make this PC. It is about two years old. I am trying to help person that owns it. I am just below A+ certified. I've never built a complete pc.  If MB is bad where should I go to find MB and instructions to find how to install MB and all of the componets from the old one 9\(including) wiring.  He also wants to upgrade graphics board.  Thanks

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:34:38 AM »
      Ok, well if this PC isn't recently built, then it probably isn't likely that the motherboard has shorted out, however, if your friend wants to install a new graphics card, then you'll probably have to replace the motherboard anyway. But first, before I give you instructions on how to do that, we have to sort out your initial problem. From what I could see, system hang can occur for one of probably three reasons:
      1. PSU can't cope with it now because of transistor ageing. What wattage is it?
      2. Motherboard did get fried somewhere. Take a look for any burn marks and have a bit of a smell around. Find out if your friend had any power surges or smoke or anything coming from the computer.
      3. CPU became overheated and fried, or something similar. Do you have another CPU to test with?

Whilst checking these, clean out all the collected dust in order to eliminate that as a possibility.

So if you could test all these three components separately in order to eliminate the problem, that would be great. Then get back to me. Now, in terms of getting a motherboard (as you asked where you should go to find one), it really depends what sort of CPU is currently in your machine, and if it is still current or if it is outdated. You will need to look for one with the same socket, or a socket that is backwardly compatible with your CPU. The socket is what the CPU sits in, and each generation of CPU has there own sockets. You can buy a motherboard from most computer stores. Once you have bought the motherboard, replacing it is basically a matter of unscrewing the screws in the old one and removing it (obviously, unplug all your hard drive cables, expansion cards, CPU, RAM, and PSU from it as well as case power buttons and anything like that). Then, plug back in all these things after the new motherboard is screwed in. If you need step by step instructions on where to find these things, let me know, however, I am assuming that if you're nearly A+ Certified that you should know what/where these are. If not, like I said, let me know. You will only need to replace your motherboard if a new graphics card does not fit the old motherboard. To find out what socket the old motherboard has, take a look in the manual or on the net, and look if it is PCI, PCI-Express, PCI-Express x16, AGP, etc.. And let me know for that too, as well as what sort of new graphics card you were looking for. Feel free to ask more questions here, or if you would find it easier, just ask me and I will give you my email address for help via Instant Messaging like MSN etc..

-Stephen

skyblu1950

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:52 AM »
      Stephen, I'll have to get back to you on the specifics. I know it's a BFG Tech mb and a agp graphics card. He also wants to upgrade one notch the video card to an 8800.  I've sent a message to the guy that built it for the specs and I'm waiting for him to respond.  Thanks. If I get to the point of immediate help I'll get with you on IM.  Thanks again

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »
        No problems, I am waiting.