Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where is my MS Word?  (Read 1855 times)

gord

Where is my MS Word?
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:23:02 PM »
My computer was so slow among other things so I reloaded XP Pro from my original disk and SP2 from Microsoft.  Now it's almost like a new machine, fast, some programs that didn't work before now work.  But now I realize I don't have MS Word or the rest of the office suite.  Can anybody give me a clue as to what happened?
Also the start menu looks like the-do they call it the traditional view?.  How do I change to the view I had before?  Thanks much!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Where is my MS Word?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »
Well, the MS Office suite is not free.  You either got Word from Office or from MS Works Suite, neither of which is free.  So, if you want Word, you need a CD for Office or Works Suite; that's all there is to it.

Now, if you want to consider some freeware options, you could try OpenOffice; it's a full office suite (word processor, spreadsheet, database, etc.).  For just a word processor, one that doesn't have all the features you find in Word, I'll suggest AbiWord; it will read Word documents. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Where is my MS Word?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »
And keep in mind for the future that anytime you re-install your OS you will lose any programs that were installed after you bought the machine...
Did you recieve any program CD's with the machine ? ?
If so re-install what you need.
You may want to check everything in Device Manager also in case there are some device drivers missing...these get wiped as well.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "