Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Video Card for Small Form Desktop?  (Read 4814 times)

shadou

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Old Video Card for Small Form Desktop?
    « on: November 18, 2007, 12:37:45 AM »
    I have an old IBM Netvista (PIII, Model Netvista A20, Machine Type 6266) running Windows 2000 SP4, and it has always had a somewhat faulty integrated video chip that creates a picture with jagged edges. Most recently, it seems that the chip is about to fail, with dark horizontal and vertical moving lines all across the screen. This does go away after a while, sometimes, and sometimes not.

I tried the monitor on my laptop and there is not the same issue, so my guess is the video is at fault. I want to get an video card so I can get away from using the Intel Integrated video, but this is a small form desktop, without much horizontal room for typical video card, and it only has PCI slots. So I was wondering, are they any old video card models out there that would fit in this desktop on a PCI slot? Any suggestions on how to find them?

I don't really care about the specs of the card as long as it is a smaller card (in height basically) and is PCI. 

Here's a picture of what the Netvista looks like:

Any help is appreciated.

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Old Video Card for Small Form Desktop?
      « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:47:47 AM »
      Take a look here. Plenty of PCI video cards to choose from and many that doesn't take up much room. It's hard for me to say which one will fit but I would think you should be able to get one of the small ones into any machine.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:52:17 AM »
      Ah, memories . . . the Netvista.
      Got any dimensions on how high the card could be?
      The support site is a mess and I can't find what I'm looking for.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:44:33 AM »
      Actually you need a "low profile PCI video card" like here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=low+profile+PCI+video

You can also check eBay etc. for that same designation. You may find something cheaper.  ;)

You may need to disable the onboard video in the BIOS. I don't know if that particular model does it automatically as you did not post the 7 digit machine code (xxxx-xxx) found on the case.

GX1

shadou

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 01:41:16 PM »
        The serial number is FB260TZ.  I'll take a look at some low-profile cards.  Thanks.

Does anyone know if this is a low profile card?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ATI-RAGEXL-8M&cat=VCD

I like the price, but don't know if it will fit, the lowest priced card I find on newegg is about $34.
        « Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:56:17 PM by shadou »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »
        No. If it is a low profile card it will clearly be stated in the listing. Don't even assume this by looking at a picture.

And that is not a machine type number. It will be something like 6461-N4U (it starts with numbers) and can be found in the BIOS screen, under system summary. (F1 when booting.)  ;)

shadou

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »
          No. If it is a low profile card it will clearly be stated in the listing. Don't even assume this by looking at a picture.

And that is not a machine type number. It will be something like 6461-N4U (it starts with numbers) and can be found in the BIOS screen, under system summary. (F1 when booting.)  ;)

Oh I think I get what you are saying.  Would 6266-BCQ be the right number?  I believe you about the card, but I did some more investigating and found that it will work, but I have to change the bracket to a low-profile bracket for it to fit.  See:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1520508&CatId=319

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »
          Yes, and the bracket will be an extra $10 and not all video cards are able to have their brackets removed. This one will, apparently, but in the end it is an 8 meg. card, although you do not have to used shared system memory. Be sure and disable the onbord video in the BIOS and choose PCI for the primary display adapter.

Here is the manual for that system:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/netvista/23p1088.pdf