Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: removed dvd rom, put in cd, not detected  (Read 2331 times)

crashb

removed dvd rom, put in cd, not detected
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:40:23 AM »
laptop satellite 1800 series.the tape under dvd-cd ROM tore in half. i picked up a compatible CD ROM and installed it. the power lights light up, but wen i hit "my puter" it is not there. i have installed ( and removed) many different drivers, and still it is not detected.am running off windows xp,

if it will work can i just swap the tape form the CD ROM to the DVD ROM? otherwise, how can we make the new ( second hand) CD ROM work? i must format and reinstall windows cause the puter is too slow, thank you very much for your help,
crashb

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: removed dvd rom, put in cd, not detected
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:30:01 AM »
    By "tape" do you mean the data cable that connects the drive to the motherboard?  If that is what you mean then you'll need to replace it.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

crashb

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »
    can i replace it with the one on the cd rom? otherwise im getting that it is impossible to find just that, and toshiba wants 300$ for the cd-dvd-rom? thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »
      Check here:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/p000322660.html

If you think that's the part I'd call them and verify.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

crashb

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 11:53:37 AM »
      no it doesnt look like it, it is the black one under neath the cd dvd rom, with gold on the other side, from the part that attached to the inside of the laptop, to the eye are of the dvd rom, tahnks , any othe rhelp is really appreciated,