Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Program Defaults  (Read 2108 times)

GSXITH3

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Help with Program Defaults
    « on: November 19, 2007, 05:15:24 PM »
    I need to make Windows Media Player my default player.  I have clicked the radio button for Windows and manually chosen Window Media Player.  BUT when I close the window the computer defaults back to the previous choice.  How do I make the change to Windows Media Player "stick"? Thanks in advance for any help!

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: Help with Program Defaults
      « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »
      What is the "previous choice?" 

Some programs try to keep themselves as the default and will change your settings for you if it detects that it's no longer the default.  You'd have to dig through that program's settings to be sure.

GSXITH3

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:54:40 PM »
        Previous choice was AVS DVD Player, which I have removed from my system.  When I click the radio button on the Windows choice or on Windows Media Player, under the media player section of default programs, the computer always reverts back to "use my current media player."  When I try to view live media in IE the media tries to connect, then says "Ready" but when I hit play nothing happens.

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:16:50 PM »
          That may not mean anything's wrong -- Let's say you start out with AVS being the default.  You open up MPlayer, and you see the options "Make MPlayer the default," and, "Use my current settings," which means AVS.  So you click to make MPlayer the default, and the next time you look at the settings in MPlayer, it says "Use my current settings" because Media Player IS the current setting. 

To verify that it is the default, under the Start --> All Programs menu, one of the first listings will be something like "Default Programs."  Open that up and verify things are associated properly.