Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limited or No Connectivity  (Read 17652 times)

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

Limited or No Connectivity
    « on: November 20, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »
    Hello everyone, i'm back again. I posted a topic about this issue previously..however, the person who was helping me stopped posting in it and so I figured, since I still have not been able to fix the issue, that I would try a new post.

Here is the old topic: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,38389.msg239065.html#msg239065

Here's the description of the problem: (from the first post of the old topic)
    "I need some help with my fiance's computer. I recently sought out help on this forum to repair it of a very persistent infection (At this location: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,38230.0.html ).

At the same time as we noticed this infection, her computer stopped being able to connect to our internet. (We're connected in the same network and my computer works fine.) Her computer is connected through a LAN connection, however, she cannot connect to the internet either through that or through the router that my computer uses.

Both provide the same message: Limited or No connectivity. Additionally, whenever I use the "repair" button in the Local Area Connection Status window it displays a message saying that windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address.

It may not be the case, but i'm assuming that something that one of the infecting files did is causing this: since they occured at the same time. Any help that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Her system details:
    Dell inspiron ME051
    Intel Celeron M 1.4 GHz
    1 GB RAM

Windows XP Home
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2 Installed

Protection software installed:
    AVG antivirus
    Spybot
    AdAware"

Updated information: The only thing that I have to add, is that while attempting to fix the laptop on my own, I tried to reset up the network from her laptop. However, it said that both the LAN connection and the Wireless card were disconnected. I eventually got it to stop saying that, but it did not fix anything.

tommy gusack

Intermediate
      Re: Limited or No Connectivity
      « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »
      EASY EASY...
      Just go to START/RUN/CMD
      Then
      Type
      ipconfig/renew
      Then waaalaa!
      Theres always.....always something to grab a hold on.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:51:12 PM »
        I'm not at home so I can't try this yet..but if that works I will 1. possibly crap my pants and 2. praise your awesomeness. :-p We'll see when I get home. heh.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:38:39 AM »
          I tried what you said, but it did not work. It gave me this message

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »
            Okay I'm going to pick this up from where 2k_dummy left.
            In order to get the proper gateway IP type ipconfig /all on a computer that can connect to the internet.
            Post the result here so we can take a look at it.
            Then we can try and configure your fiance's computer manually.
            Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
            Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »
              Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
              (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel Wilson>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : letgoletgod
                      Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
                      Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                      IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                      WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                      DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dlink

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : dlink
                      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
              roller
                      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-73-69-AA
                      Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
                      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::218:8bff:fe73:69aa%4
                      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                      DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
                      Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:36:4
              3 AM
                      Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:36:4
              3 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
                      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
                      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
                      Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
                      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
                      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : dlink
                      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-64
                      Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.100%2
                      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
                      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:42:18 PM »
                192.168.0.1 is the IP for your router also called the gateway IP.
                On your fiance's computer right click the Local Area Connection and go to properties.
                Find the entry called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and double click it.
                It should be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically", set it to "Use the following IP".
                In the IP address field type: 192.168.0.254
                (the last 3 digit number can be anything between 1 and 255, I just choose 254 because a high number isn't likely to be in use already.)
                Just click on the Subnet mask field and Windows should fill it in automatically.
                In the Default gateway field type: 192.168.0.1
                The next radio button should already be set to "Use the following DNS server addresses", if not set it.
                In the first field type 192.168.0.1.
                Leave the second field blank.
                Close both the open windows with OK.
                Now see if the computer can connect to the network.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »
                  Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm posting this from my fiance's computer! *does a little dance* Awesome. Now, the only problem is: will I have to do this every time that I move it into a new network? (We use this comp sometimes on our campus' wireless connection - or at least we used to.)
                  Thanks a lot for the help though, being able to connect at home is better than no connection at all.

Deerpark

Egghead
                    « Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »
                    If the computer needs to be configured manually in order to connect to a network, then yes you will need to change this config according to the network you're on. But the it should be able to retrieve an IP automatically. *scratches head*

Do you have any firewall active?

Try and configure the computer to obtain an IP automatically again. I.e. in the properties for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" set it to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Then reboot the computer.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »
                      We do have a firewall, but i've tried it with it both on and off. I set it back to detect automatically, and it worked for a while but this morning it went right back to "limited or no connectivity" and only started working when I put everything back in manually.

I'm starting to think that maybe it is a problem with the router. I had thought that it was her laptop because, when this first started, the comp that I had (which was in the same room) was able to connect to the internet without a problem. However, that comp died a while back and I just got a new comp (As of yesterday). This new comp was connected fine for a while, until last night when it started having trouble "identifying the network" (whatever that means) and then would eventually connect to the "unidentified network" and say that it had limited or no connectivity. I was able to fix this problem again by manually inputting the connection data. We haven't had a chance to test her laptop on a different network yet, but its on my to-do list.

Deerpark

Egghead
                        « Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »
                        Yeah from your description it sounds like the router could be malfunctioning.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »
                          Yeah, the only other problem with that is..this is a different router than we had when the problem first started. Our last router stopped working period, and so I went out and bought a new one. (different brand). Now, she's still having problems with this one.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 10:04:27 PM »
                            Well it's certainly not a problem with the router. I  finally got to take it to someone else's network, and it has the exact same problems.

Deerpark

Egghead
                              « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »
                              At this point I think the best way to get it back to normal would be to format and reinstall windows. I seem to remember you've said it all started with a virus infection. It is possible the virus messed up something in the network configuration and it'll probably be faster to just start over from scratch than to find out what the virus might have done.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 02:33:13 PM »
                                Yeah, a friend of my wife (We got married friday :-p ) told her the same thing a while back. The only problem is..she doesn't have a reboot disk. And we cannot afford to buy a new windows disk.

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
                                  Hello again! heh..I hate to ressurect an ancient topic, but I'm finding myself in the same hole..and it seems far more efficient to simply repost here than to start a new topic. Basically..my fiance is still using the same laptop. It's been disconnected for a while but we need to reconnect it to the internet. We've moved, and are no longer connecting through a router. Now we're connecting through a Linksys switch. Her computer is still saying that it has limited or no connectivity. I tried manually entering the IP address as before, since that at least sortof fixed the problem; but I don't think I did it correctly. Now her computer says that it is connected, but it will not actually connect to any websites.

Just looking at the directions that I was given before and the new ipconfig report that I ran on my comp now I told her to input:
                                  IP: 71.229.10.254
                                  Subnet mask: (this came up as 255.0.0.0 )
                                  Gateway: 71.229.10.129
                                  DNS: 68.87.68.162

I also tried varying these numbers in every way that I could think of, using the alternate DNS names that my report gave me and so forth. So, I was really hoping someone on here could identify where I went retarded. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but our computers run on different Operating Systems. I'm on vista, whereas she is on xp.

Here's the Ipconfig /all report from my comp.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
                                  Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\continuumcomplex>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Cortana
                                     Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
                                     Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                                     IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                     WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                     DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.al.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
                                     Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
                                     Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7E-DB-6E-68
                                     DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter dlink:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.al.comcast.net.
                                     Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connec
                                  tion
                                     Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-12-18-D5
                                     DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                                     Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ec5d:f57c:8397:dd8f%9(Preferred)
                                     IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 71.229.10.207(Preferred)
                                     Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.128
                                     Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 20, 2008 3:35:32 PM
                                     Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:03:45 PM
                                     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
                                                                         71.229.10.129
                                     DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.10
                                     DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.162
                                                                         68.87.74.162
                                                                         68.87.64.196
                                     NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
                                     Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
                                     DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{AF6E869E-2E16-4922-BAC6-DAF72C11F
                                  6ED}
                                     Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.dlink

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 18:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 21:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2
                                     IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:47e5:acf::47e5:acf(Preferred)
                                     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
                                     DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.162
                                                                         68.87.74.162
                                                                         68.87.64.196

C:\Users\continuumcomplex>

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »
                                    Bump! Just a little bump. ;-)

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
                                      Last bump. :-(

sph92173

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
                                        I used the information included here, and applied it to my situation. THANKS!!!!!!!!

Shandy

Intermediate
                                          • Experience: Beginner
                                          « Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »
                                          You should change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 this is what it should always be for home networks.

So go into Network Connections right click on the connection she wants to use probably something like Local Area Connection 1 and then click Properties from here click the Internet Protocol TCP/IP under This connection uses the following items once internet protocol TCP/IP is highlighted click the Properties
                                          button. From here click Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically

If this doesn't work then use these settings;
                                          IP: 71.229.10.254                        or 71.229.10.249 if the other doesn't work either.
                                          Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
                                          Gateway: 71.229.10.129
                                          DNS: 68.87.68.162

If this doesn't fix it then I don't really know what i'm looking for here.
                                          « Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:30:47 PM by Shandy »

julesz

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 02:39:37 PM »
                                          Hi -

I am facing a similar problem. My husband got a used computer to use in his studio. Trying to connect via LAN to the internet (hard wired). The computer shows that all the hardware is working correctly. The cable is working (checked on my computer) as is the connecting device (sorry, I'm a real beginner so I don't know the lingo). The network and connections box shows that it is working (blue computers on the image). However when I check status, it shows that the computer is sending information, but not receiving any.

I have tried the IP address suggestions in above posts, but nothing worked.

Please help!

Many thanks,
                                          Julie

lk.jangir

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 06:11:42 AM »
                                          while sharing the internet connection on another computers, then no or limited connectivity is shown. that time ipconfig command wont help.  then what to do....???

continuumcomplex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »
                                            Thanks for at least replying and attempting to help, but you just fed me back mostly the same numbers that I was already using. And no, they didn't work.  :'(