Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems connecting to router  (Read 3776 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    problems connecting to router
    « on: January 29, 2009, 05:03:15 PM »
    Hello there
    Someone had told me to try and set my ip address to one i know works
    (not automatic)

I thought you only had one ip address, could someone explain to me how i would do this.

I have been having problems with my wireless connection "limited or no connectivity"
    And tryed most of the basic suff, but the last few nights now it won't renew my ip address.

Also, the "obtain an ip address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" radio buttons are both checked

and i also flushed the DNS cache....  :)

THANKYOU for your replys

windows xp/sp3
    bt home hub 2.0

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problems connecting to router
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
    I have been having problems with my wireless connection
    The need to do that went away about ten years ago. At least for home computers. You have to use the IPs that the router or modem want you to use.

It would help if you would give some detail. But not too  much.

Some people have a set up like this:
    A DSL modem going to a Wireless router. The wireless router really lavs Ethernet ports plus a built-tin wireless. The computers are connected either through the Ethernet ports on the router,  or by the wireless connection.

When you first set up the router,  at least one computer has to be directly connected to the router. The first time the router does the setup for you. But you have to answer a few questions.
    To make changes to the network you have to be able to get to the router again. The instruction manual gives you information about this. There is a specific IP you have to invoke to make changes to the router. I think on mine it is 192.168.0.1 but that will not help you unless yours is the same make and model as mine. Look in the manual. The manual may be on the CD.

Major makers of home network equipment provide goo tutorials on the company web site. One of the big ones is Crisco. The even have a software program that can help you. And it is free to try for a few days, even if you are not a Crisco customer.  :D

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »

It would help if you would give some detail. But not too  much.

When you first set up the router,  at least one computer has to be directly connected to the router. The first time the router does the setup for you. But you have to answer a few questions.
      To make changes to the network you have to be able to get to the router again. The instruction manual gives you information about this. There is a specific IP you have to invoke to make changes to the router. I think on mine it is 192.168.0.1 but that will not help you unless yours is the same make and model as mine. Look in the manual. The manual may be on the CD.

hello again

yep, its just the one computer upstairs on a wireless connection, with the wireless router downstairs.

I can get into the router easy enough, but its actually knowing what to do or how to go about troubleshooting the "limited or no connectivity" message.

But the last few days have been bad, its says "cannot renew ip address" then you try again and again, and then suddenly everything seems fine and then it connects no problem.

Turn the computer back on again, and your back to the same problem "limited or no connectivity" the router doe's not even show up in available networks, and when it doe's and you click on repair it will then come back with "cannot renew ip address"

I am pretty layed back, but this is testing me   ;D
      windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »
      Yeah. Me too. I had that for a long time. Got some other router and wireless devices and did some different things and now I get a very strong signal.

The router I use now is a 2-Wire DSL modem router and wireless all in one. It is perfect. Just the first time you start it up is thinks about it a bit, lets you connect, then after awhile does a reset. After that it trusts you. It almost never breaks the connection. Once in awhile I turn it off, wait, and turn it on again. I don't want it to get bored. It was pricey. $80 from the phone company. But I was sick and tired of the flaky Motorola modem that could not make it even half a day and it would need a half hour break.
      Most likely you have a dead spot where you place your router and computer. Try moving one or the other.  Bear in mind, this is microwave stuff. A few inches is a wavelength. Move it two feet and the path is different by several wavelengths and the propagation is totally different. You know how fussy UHF TV is on rabbit ears? The microwave stuff is even more sensitive to slight changes in placement.
      If you can not fix it that way, come back here and I will share some other tricks with microwaves. :)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
        Most likely you have a dead spot where you place your router and computer. Try moving one or the other.  Bear in mind, this is microwave stuff. A few inches is a wavelength. Move it two feet and the path is different by several wavelengths and the propagation is totally different. You know how fussy UHF TV is on rabbit ears? The microwave stuff is even more sensitive to slight changes in placement.
        If you can not fix it that way, come back here and I will share some other tricks with microwaves. :)

The computer and router, have basically been in the same place for about two years now, with no problems.
        I did try moving the router a couple of times but i carn't move it that far , a couple of feet at the most, and it still would not pick it up.

It is fine again today, so it is something at night, i have changed the channel again in case it happens again tonight, but i had done that the other day and the same thing happened last night

2gb ram/32 bit/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »
        It is fine again today...

1. Maybe there is something that interferes with your Wireless device. My guess is the device in your computer is failing and has lost its ability to reject interference. The remedy is to replace it.

2. This is a chance that some kind of 'malware' has got into you system. I do not mean to say that the malware directly attacks your wireless, but rather the malware 'insults' the system. And that creates instability.
        Insult: to affect offensively or damagingly   :(

Removal of the malware and a re-install of you networking and devices should ccure the problem. If that is the problem.

In either case:
        Just  buy another Wireless device, from another manufacturer. It likely will solve the problem. And the old device will work good in another computer. And we will never know why that appended.