Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seems that I have a virus.  (Read 9015 times)

Icon

Seems that I have a virus.
« on: December 19, 2004, 11:56:12 PM »
First of all my laptop turns off by itself.  No, it is not cuz my battery went dead, I always have it on AC power.  It is not from overheating, cuz it does it at random times and it would shut off when I am rebooting the d@mn thing (which it does not).  2 times already when I turned the lap top back on, it said that registery files are missing and windows will not start up.  So thus I gotta reboot it.  I ran the AVG antivirus I got off the net and nothing shows up.  I tried to format the harddrive, but windows prevents it.  Also, I can not get in DOS mode without windows being on.  

I am in a bit of a pickle, need mas grande helpo.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 11:57:30 PM by Icon »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Seems that I have a virus.
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 01:09:10 AM »
    Icon........Does your lap top have a 31/4 floppy drive ?
    From your comment re D/L AVG ...I assume you didn't have full time anti virus protection .......What operating system is ( was ) installed on your laptop ? Do you have the installation disk for your o/s ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:22:47 AM »
    By the information that you have provided us, I'm guessing that there was no firewall installed.... You can have an anti virus program, but keep in mind that freebies from the internet generally are NO GOOD. Please provide us with more information such as your computer brand, memory, etc.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Corrosive

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 11:39:04 AM »
    but keep in mind that freebies from the internet generally are NO GOOD

As Raptor mentioned in a previous post, you seem to imply that you have actually tried all free software out on the net.

Never heard of 'open source'? 'GNU General License?' Obviously not.

And quite how you are diagnosing the firewall (or rather lack therof) is the culprit is beyond me. In this instance, I'd point at either a virus (which has been ruled out by the use of what I presume was an up-to-date AV app) or a power managment/hardware conflict.
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:44:43 AM by Corrosive »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 12:02:51 PM »
    Maybe you should just shut up and get off my back so we can help Icon come over his or her virus problem. The reason that I say that most anti virus programs on the internet are no good, is becuase it's true. MOST do NOT work well at all. I used to try program after program before I realized that there was always a catch. They want you to buy the porgram so that you can use the features that you SHOULD have in the first place. That's the reason. As for the firewall thing, that was posted becuase if you don't have a firewall, what happens? Hackers can get in. Now wouldn't you say that is completely possible that a hacker got into Icon's computer and messed things up? I don't know for sure, and neither do you, so stop accusing people with logical answers of not being computer literate.  >:(

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »
    Icon........Does your lap top have a 31/4 floppy drive ?
    From your comment re D/L AVG ...I assume you didn't have full time anti virus protection .......What operating system is ( was ) installed on your laptop ? Do you have the installation disk for your o/s ?

let us know

No floppy Drive.  No I didnt have full time anti virus protection.

Windows 2k professional
    Yeah I got the installation disk, Ive used it many times already.

Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 12:46:59 PM »
    By the information that you have provided us, I'm guessing that there was no firewall installed.... You can have an anti virus program, but keep in mind that freebies from the internet generally are NO GOOD. Please provide us with more information such as your computer brand, memory, etc.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

No firewall.  

Compaq Evo N800c
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Pentium 4  2.0 GHZ
    28gb

Oh and btw...I cant format my harddrive at all, cuz it says that I got programs running and I cant close them all since windows prevents it.

Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »

As Raptor mentioned in a previous post, you seem to imply that you have actually tried all free software out on the net.

Never heard of 'open source'? 'GNU General License?' Obviously not.

And quite how you are diagnosing the firewall (or rather lack therof) is the culprit is beyond me. In this instance, I'd point at either a virus (which has been ruled out by the use of what I presume was an up-to-date AV app) or a power managment/hardware conflict.

Never heard of Open Source OR GNU.  No idea what that is.

No firewall at all.  Since that keeps coming up...I should get one huh?

Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 12:51:06 PM »
    Maybe you should just shut up and get off my back so we can help Icon come over his or her virus problem. The reason that I say that most anti virus programs on the internet are no good, is becuase it's true. MOST do NOT work well at all. I used to try program after program before I realized that there was always a catch. They want you to buy the porgram so that you can use the features that you SHOULD have in the first place. That's the reason. As for the firewall thing, that was posted becuase if you don't have a firewall, what happens? Hackers can get in. Now wouldn't you say that is completely possible that a hacker got into Icon's computer and messed things up? I don't know for sure, and neither do you, so stop accusing people with logical answers of not being computer literate.  >:(

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Im computer illiterate.  8)

Thats why Im here.  :P

You guys are more help then some other forum I tried.  I told them its not overheating and they reply with "it must be overheating."  THOSE guys are the true idiots.  Not anyone here.  ;)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 02:15:06 PM »

No floppy Drive.  No I didnt have full time anti virus protection.

Windows 2k professional
      Yeah I got the installation disk, Ive used it many times already.

Have you tried going into bios ?
      What make and model is your laptop ?

let us know

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 03:31:36 PM »

Have you tried going into bios ?

What is Bios, what do I do in bios and how do I get there?

What make and model is your laptop ?

Compaq Evo N800c

8)

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 04:17:01 PM »
      What hardrive is this not an ibm travelstar.......what does sfc/scanow.......typed in the run box.....say.....re-boot and hold down the f8 chose last good config....or do a repair job.......same key with the win2k disk installed....

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 06:13:08 PM »
      Well, I really DO NOT know, but I still think that a virus or some kind of nasty worm got into your computer. It's a bad situation.... Have you contacted Compaq about this problem?

[glb]Flame[/glb]
      « Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 06:14:07 PM by flame »

Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 06:26:13 PM »
      What hardrive is this not an ibm travelstar.......what does sfc/scanow.......typed in the run box.....say.....re-boot and hold down the f8 chose last good config....or do a repair job.......same key with the win2k disk installed....

Could you dumb down what you just said for me.

Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 06:27:44 PM »
      Have you contacted Compaq about this problem?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

So they can arrest me?  This lap top fell off a truck.  ;D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 06:29:40 PM »
      Oh. I guess you shouldn't call them then.... lol

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Corrosive

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 12:51:43 PM »
      Icon, my post was actually directed at Flame, so sorry if I've confused you. Also, there is no need to quote everything that is said: normally a thread like this flows (well, "moves roughly in the one direction" is more accurate) like a conversation, where one person says something or a few things and then you respond. As you've probably seen, this isn't often the case which is where the quote tags come in.

Not a telling off - it's just that I'm beginning to get a little square-eyed... ;)

Flame, you've completely missed the point I was making. On the free programs front, I've pointed to various Linux ports in the past that are excellent, and it's not entirely difficult to find decent AV software for free. No, they may not have some of the features of some commercial apps, but do you really need them? If it's just a case of "it might be handy", does that really warrent you shelling out £30? I guess it's down to the user, but I find that quite a few freebie AV apps (AVG in particular) are perfectly cabable of sorting you out.

As for the firewall, I agree. It's vital to have one so that the script kiddies (by and by, read this to find out what a hacker really is - you'd probably be disappointed) can't screw with your PC. What I was saying was that the likelyhoods of this being the root cause of Icon's problem was highly unlikely, and that I was very confused as to how you actually came to that conclusion. Even with your reasoning I still feel it's a very unlikely scenario.

I'm still putting money on a conflict of some sort. But I'll leave you guys to work that out for yourselves.

Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 06:54:22 PM »
      I know you were talking to him Corrosive.  No need to argue over something that doesnt need to be argued about.  Oh and I know how posting messages and such work.  I didnt quote everything, I was responding to each person, that way they knew I was talking to them.

Ive been doing the message board thing since 2k, so I know how it all works.  Thanks for the help guys, but it seems that I just may have to live with this problem until my hard drive is finally dead.  8)