Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Raid Misery  (Read 2844 times)

jonfall

Raid Misery
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »
Just built a new AMD dual core system on an MSI motherboard, tried to boot up my existing raid 0 discs but no good! The discs came out of my previous AMD system (MSI m/b) I thought I had a duff processor but its ok - I installed XP Pro on a fresh disc & all is ok. I now cannot access the raid although it shows as healthy. How can I boot it up to get my data back ( didn't back up) I can only get as far as checking DMI pool data! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHGGGGG someone help please.
j.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:59:43 PM by jonfall »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Raid Misery
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:02 PM »
Which Raid controller are you using  ( MFR, Model etc )

Is it IDE/SATA/ or SCSI?

Is it onboard ( built into the motherboard )?

Some RAID controllers are not Fail Safe and a wrong action can break the set, while the top end and newer are usually able to rejoin a broken RAID Set or Array.

Is it RAID 0, 1, 5 etc or 0+1 etc?

jonfall

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply:
Sata
Nvidia raid 0
The discs are W/D
I can rebuild the array but it still will not boot.
The raid still lists as healthy?
I think I have somehow altered the boot record?
J :

jonfall

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:08 PM »
P.s. I have checked the drives with raid reconstructor & they seem all there so I don't think I have erased any files?
J

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »
Yes, it sounds like the boot stripe is missing...

It would be great if you had an emergency repair disk to be able to fix this, but without one, you will have to manually go through the process or full rebuild.

If able to, I'd pop in another HD into the system without RAID, put an OS on it to be able to access this RAIS set and backup your data before you go any further to avoid a total lossof data. If you dont have a way to back up Gigs of data, then you can attempt to move forward without a backup, but at your own risk.

You should be able through your BIOS to select the RAID set as the First Boot Device or Boot device before  any other Hard Drives, and as long as the stripe is not shot on the MBR ( Master Boot Record ) it should boot being that the RAID set is good.

If already set up this way, you can attempt a reinstall of your OS to the RAID set in which you select REPAIR instead of Clean Install, this will overwrite system data and replace the boot stripe etc. This is the easiest method, but you will have to perform clean up afterwards to reinstall games programs etc possibly that didnt like the repair process and clean registry.

You could also if you have another system of the same OS, use a bootable Floppy, Thumb, or CD or DVD to access the RAID controller and drop missing system files back onto the RAID set to try to get it to boot, but  this is more involved and only is you see a message like NTLOADER Missing etc.

If you get a black screen without NTLOADER or any other missing files then, I'd try the REPAIR process through your OEM CD or DVD set that came with your system or OS upgrade etc. Boot off the media and select this method. Through the rebuild you may have to select F6 to give Windows the RAID drivers it will need to associate with the controller, otherwise it may try to install to 1 on the drives vs the RAID set. After pressing F6 after booting off of a Windows install CD or DVD  and being prompted to do so in the bottom left corner of the screen you will need to put in the floppy, CD, DVD, or thumb drive containing the drivers. Easiest method is Floppy Drive, although MANY systems and users have done away with them years ago. This is one of those applications where a floppy is worth its weight in gold.

If you dont have any software for the RAID controller with low level drivers, you can try to perform the REPAIR install and see if Windows will detect the correct RAID drivers. 9 times out of 10 it will not have the latest drivers to associate, and the 1 out of the 10 time is usually because the controller is so old that the drivers have been bundled/integrated with the OEM Windows install like the older printer drivers etc.

Hopefully this helps!

Dave

jonfall

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »
Yep done that! I get to the repair bit & it states that it cant find a previous version of windows! The repair console won't go any further. Yet I know I have not deleted anything. I've tried swopping the drives around but it's still no good.
J

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »
Interesting.... Next move for me would be to try a reinstall and overwrite everything if nothing too important is in the drive, or pop in an IDE or SATA drive in without RAID, install a clean install of Windows to that drive, then reintroduce the RAID set with the IDE or SATA driv ethat bridges the NTFS data access for the drives and OS, Id then backup whatever was important off of that RAID set and then blow the set clean and install clean build, then move data back to RAID set.

If you have a 3rd drive to run without RAID and your case will hold a 3rd drive being a full tower... that is the trick I'd do above... If desktop you can set drive safely of to side and you may need as P connector Y splitter/adapter if shot on P connectors