Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: InKline Software. Any problems?  (Read 4285 times)

Corrosive

InKline Software. Any problems?
« on: December 20, 2004, 11:34:55 AM »
Yesterday a customer came in and asked me if we stocked some 'Booster' software from a company called InKline Software. The search on the computer in store turned up nothing, so I asked what it was for - so I could possibly recommend an alternative product which could do the same job - and something she said struck me as a little odd about the situation.

Apparently, the reason she'd heard of this software was through a dialog box on her PC, which had popped up and quite blatently told her that this piece of software would speed up her computer (incidentally, she also mentioned that her PC had been running a little slower than usual). The more experienced among us are beginning to smell a rat, I feel...

I Googled 'Inkline Software' and it does appear to be a real and legitimate company, and having had a closer look at the products I'm beginning to get a feeling I actually saw the very same product on QVC.

I passed this customer on to the tech, who tried to sell the Healthcheck (she was having none of it) but my curiosity lives on. Have anyone else had similar messages? Are InKline Software dabbling in Adware and scaremongering?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: InKline Software. Any problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 12:09:57 PM »
I think I've seen some pop-ups before saying that my computer is not running as fast as it should, and that if I download this PC Booster thing, that it would be better... I never tried it, so I don't know if it works..... However, there are SO many things that slow down computers.... (Spyware, little memory, etc.). It's hard to say for sure if speed boost would have worked, or what was making your customer's computer so slow...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:07:12 PM »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »
    Corrosive...Here's a review I came accoss .

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s65.htm

It may help...but according to the review theres no quarantee .......suggestion was to try it before buying.
    All it seems to do is tweak your pc ........But D/l speed all relates to the connection to your ISP ......."You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"  I assume your customer has a dialup connection ...... I'm my humble opinion ....spend the money on something worthwhile .
    Here's another independant review......
    http://www.onepc.net/reviews/0048/

cheers
    dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 04:42:30 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Corrosive

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 12:06:32 PM »
    It's hard to say for sure if speed boost would have worked, or what was making your customer's computer so slow...

In all honesty, I very much doubt a little tweak program is going to have much of an impact into the speed.

Right now it's not a matter of whether or not it works, it's a matter of whether this company is beginning to use spurious claims and/or adware in order to market their product. And hopefully it should serve as a small warning in case anyone else gets such messages and is conned into buying software they really don't need (or could get cheaper where I work ;) )

Judging by the link Merlin gave, some of their claims are a bit exaggerated (have a look at the "before" and "after" shots  ::) )

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 06:15:50 PM »
    Alll people have to do is hack the reg!!!cashing in on less knowledge of the root.....of win..........all systems ares set up to a basic config....!!just like a car do you drive it with the seat to far back??