Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ftp  (Read 3236 times)

yanng1

Topic Starter

Beginner

ftp
    « on: November 22, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »
    I update a website fairly often.  Updating always means:
    1) downloading the file to edit
    2) editing
    3) uploading.

This is because When I click on the file in my windows 'my network places' window,
    I am not offered the option to 'open with'.  If I open the file, PHP are default opened by a browser, not an editor.
      This can't be the only way of doing this job.  Can anyone suggest a way that I could update the files without the download, upload steps?

Thanks in advance

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: ftp
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:37:23 PM »
    What software are you using to edit your HTML files?

yanng1

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
      Thanks for replying soybean.

I edit HTML & PHP files with simple text editors.  Like Crimson Editor, or Kate (when using linux)

So, any ideas?

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:48:02 PM »
        Two things.
        If you want php files to be opened with an editor open your Windows Explorer, and click on Tools ---> Folder Options. From here you select File Types, select PHP and click on Change, to change the program you want them to open with.

Now about the DL-Edit-UL steps. Well if you want to change files there's only one quicker way I can think of.

Leave all the files for the website on your computer and if you need to edit one, simply open it from your computer, edit it and upload it to the site.
        You'll be asked to Overwrite, click Yes.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 02:08:55 AM »
        I use PSPad exclusively for web design (it's a text mode syntax highlighting programmer's editor).  PSPad has a built in FTP client which enables you to directly edit files on a remote server.*

I done recommend this method though, if you have any interest in change control, preservation of backups etc.  If you make a mistake and realise too late, that's it.  You've blown your only copy of the file.

*Actually, that's a bit of a simplification - it downloads them to a temporary local location and then uploads the changed file when you hit save.  But the file transmission is done transparently.
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos