Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble installing a game on windows vista  (Read 3373 times)

pie

Trouble installing a game on windows vista
« on: November 24, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »
the game is starcraft, and yes, I know that it's old and shouldnt work on vista, but so far I've read around the net and people havent had any trouble getting it to work fine. I just bought this computer today, of course it has vista on it (shame on me), and I get setup.exe going, enter my name and cd-key, then it freezes after I click ok(sometimes it gets to the choose directory part, but freezes after that).  Any suggestions/help? I also tried making setup.exe run in compatibility mode for windows xp sp2.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Trouble installing a game on windows vista
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:24:30 PM »
What version of Starcraft is it?

6-shooter

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:34:27 PM »
hello, sorry to jump into your chat, but i'm going nuts with this vista  missing file thing. i can't get any downloaded games to play. how do you inject this d3drm.dll file into this computer? any ideas? i'm a complete novice with this technology. i,m used to living in the mountains. thanks

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:45:20 PM »
hello, sorry to jump into your chat, but i'm going nuts with this vista  missing file thing. i can't get any downloaded games to play. how do you inject this d3drm.dll file into this computer? any ideas? i'm a complete novice with this technology. i,m used to living in the mountains. thanks
Use your original topic:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46544.msg291562.html#msg291562
Broni has suggested what should work, just download d3drm.dll (I'd download it from here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3drm ) and put it into C:\Windows\System32

pie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »
i'm looking at the disk case, and it doesnt have a version on it, it's just starcraft, not broodwar(yet), since i cant get the original working.