Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Raid card install w/o reinstalling the OS?  (Read 2619 times)

javierboots

Raid card install w/o reinstalling the OS?
« on: November 24, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »
I have acquired an old used Dell computer running windows xp? I would like to add a raid 1 configuration to it, but I don't have the ability to reinstall the OS. Is this possible?

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: Raid card install w/o reinstalling the OS?
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:43:22 PM »
     I do not see the point of a raid system without an operating system as it can do nothing without an operating system.

You can get it up and running using Knoppix Live or Ubuntu live linux both are free and they work without putting anything in a hard drive, they work from the ram and CD, there is no formatting done on the hard drive so leaves it clean for you to install XP or Vista later
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

javierboots

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »
    I do have an OS. It is winxp pro. I just don't have the ability to re-install it (no xp disks). I just want to know if it is possible to put in a raid card for mirroring (raid 1) and not reinstall the OS.

javierboots

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »
    I have acquired the answer. Yes it is possible to add a raid card to an existing OS.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:11:22 AM »
    Link ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

javierboots

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
    Link ? ?
    No real link. I searched raid card manuals. Some come with a GUI to manage the card using the existing OS. Rosewill is one of the brand names.