Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with my computer  (Read 6055 times)

GX1_Man

Re: I need help with my computer
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 07:08:23 PM »
If it is a stock IBM and it came with that PSU it will be adequate unless you have added a lot of options - one extra CD or hard drive will not put it over the edge. This assumes that the PSU is still functional.

And for all of you "press the Delete key" people, IBM's have always used F1. That is why info is important. In the BIOS screen you can learn the processor RAM and the 7 digit machine code number (if it isn't still on the front of the case). THe format will be 4 numbers and 3 digits of numbers and letters like xxxx-xxx.

Once we know the machine code we can proceed.  ;)

GX1_Man

Re: I need help with my computer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »
If it is a stock IBM and it came with that PSU it will be adequate unless you have added a lot of options - one extra CD or hard drive will not put it over the edge. This assumes that the PSU is still functional.  The stock PSU for that vintage is in the 135-180 range, typically.

* And for all of you "press the Delete key" people, IBM's have always used F1. That is why info is important.

In the BIOS screen you can learn the processor RAM and the 7 digit machine code number (if it isn't still on the front of the case). THe format will be 4 numbers and 3 digits of numbers and letters like xxxx-xxx.

Once we know the machine code we can proceed.  ;)