Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How many speakers on one sound card?  (Read 2495 times)

yossi123

Topic Starter

Rookie

How many speakers on one sound card?
    « on: November 24, 2007, 11:39:18 PM »
    I need to have a radio station online to spread from one sound card of a computer to many amplified speakers in different rooms.

The question is: How many such speakers can I load on that computer (with splitters in serial from that card) without hurting the card?
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:32:12 PM by yossi123 »

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: How many speakers on one sound card?
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
    Technically, sound plugs aren't even really made to support two sets of speakers. I'd go into specifics, but that's beyond the point.

Your best bet would be to connect your sound card to a receiver of some sort and let it sort the signal to different sets of speakers.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »
      Your best bet would be to connect your sound card to a receiver of some sort and let it sort the signal to different sets of speakers.

i second this. i belive sound cards are meant for one set of speakers in one location, but if you hookup the sound cards output to a reciever, then you may be able to have mulitple speakers in different rooms.

yossi123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
        I already have three sets of amplified speakers connected to that computers for over two years without problems. Because I had some interruptions on my audio that I taught maybe comes from this setup, but I just found the cause of that problem that is not related at all to this setup. This why I asked my question in the first place. 
        Your advise to install a receiver maybe the safest solution, but a. the receivers are not so cheap, they take space and usually consume enough energy and also most of the ones I encountered has RCA jacks. Converting all these ports to 3.50 mm plugs of the speakers also will add to the cost. So for the time been, I think I will try to add more splitters on the same computer,(or will use an old computer for this test.
        If the card will hold 6 sets of speakers I will be happy. If will blow the card, then I will replace it and add another card or two on the same computer and hopfully that will solve my problem cheaper because I have several cards in my stock. If it don't work well, maybe I will have no choice but to go with your option.

Thanks anyway, unless you have some comment about my options,
        let me know.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 07:23:16 PM by yossi123 »