Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstalling help  (Read 2562 times)

onyxrose

Uninstalling help
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
I've been having some trouble with a video game on my computer so I went to reinstall it but I can't seem to uninstall the game in the usual way.  I go to Add or Remove Programs and when I hit the Change/Remove button it says that the game cannot be uninstalled until the expansion packs have been uninstalled, however all the expansion pack are uninstalled.  When I put the CD in nothing happens and it refuses to work saying that the files have been moved or corrupted.  Is there an alternate way to uninstall or remove this game?  My OS is Windows XP and the offending game is The Sims 2.  Also, I don't know if it matters but when I was done uninstalling the expansion packs the files were still on my computer and I had to delete them.  I also tried system restore but that didn't help.

Thanks to anyone who can help in advance.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Uninstalling help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:51:59 PM »
Welcome aboard ;D

I don't know if it matters but when I was done uninstalling the expansion packs the files were still on my computer and I had to delete them.
There is a good chance, it was your mistake. Those files may be needed by original game uninstaller. It can't find them, and it complains.
Try to install game one more time, like nothing happened, THEN uninstall expansion pack, first (don't delete any files yourself), and the game, next.

onyxrose

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »
Try to install game one more time, like nothing happened, THEN uninstall expansion pack, first (don't delete any files yourself), and the game, next.

I've tried that.  It was probably my fifth time trying to uninstall the game before I noticed that the files were still there, and that's when I deleted them.  Though your right, it is my fault that the game is messed up because my problems began when I accidentally moved some files, but when I went to move them back it wouldn't work.

Also what do you mean by "try to install game one more time"?  Part of my problem is that I can't do that.

Sorry if I was unclear before, I appreciate the help.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:05:53 PM »
Also what do you mean by "try to install game one more time"?  Part of my problem is that I can't do that.
Why?
Forget about game's leftovers. Start installing your game like it doesn't exist on your computer. If installation is successful, uninstall it in proper way.

onyxrose

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »
Start installing your game like it doesn't exist on your computer.

I tried that.  For me to install the game like it doesn't already exist would be to put the CD in and wait for the autostart.  Now in this case the autostart doesn't begin so I go into my computer and click The Sims 2 icon in the E: drive slot. (on my computer the CD ROMs are called E: and F:)  After I do this I receive and error message that says "Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted."

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »
and click The Sims 2 icon in the E
This is most likely for starting a game. You need to find a file called "setup.exe", and double click on it to start installation.

onyxrose

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
I just tried that and I'm still receiving the same error message.  HOWEVER, I did find a file that called 'eauninstall" which FINALLY did it!  Thanks for your help!  Now I can finally play my game, excuse me while I go do a dance of joy!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »
Good job!!! 8) 8) 8)