Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using a generic cd of xp pro to install ,but using the orginal key from laptop  (Read 2806 times)

dimarrco

I do not have a recovery disk or the original disk for xp pro. The laptop came with everything already installed. I have had to reinstall xp pro because of a virus. I used a generic cd to do this. Install went well and now it will not except the original key that is on the sticker located on the bottom of the unit. I can use a generic key to finish the install but then it would not let me go get updates. how can I get this original key the be used after the other has been used to install? I tried to explain it all well enough to  make sense.  Dimarrco

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
The key on the sticker attached to the bottom of the unit is uniquely tied to the original XP cd which was used to install the Operating System.   When you enter the key it is compared with an encrypted key on the cd and if the two match the install proceeds as normal.   If they do not match, as you found, several problems occur like not being able to download updates.

If you use a second XP cd and its correct key and that cd has already been used to install an operating system then the duplication will be found when Microsoft runs its authenticity check and the second OS will eventually be crippled.

Contact your local Microsoft office for advice, they may give you a special key to enter.

Good luck

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
An awful lot of lost keys recently...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dimarrco

I have fixed this problem with changing the reg, where it was at and making it prompt me to ask for the new key. So I put in the one that the laptop orginially came with and BAM! fixed. Although i have lost all of the other programs that were loaded on it orginially. Thanks for everyones help. Dimarrco