Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Add'l question to External Harddrive.  (Read 2470 times)

dynamic

Topic Starter

Rookie

Add'l question to External Harddrive.
    « on: November 28, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »
    When I transfer my data to the external drive will it transfer all the bad stuff that is slowing my computer down?  How to clean???

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Add'l question to External Harddrive.
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »
    If you transfer your data files only, then, no, it won't transfer all the bad stuff, assuming it's virus free. 

Do you want to discuss issues you're having with your computer?  If so, post more detail.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:30:03 PM »
    Transfer your data, and go ahead. No biggie.
    I like this tutorial with pictures:
    http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-format.html

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »
    Thanks. 
    Computer is extremely slow.  Takes about 15 min. to log on, takes forever to go from place to place.
    I have crashed it a few times and with the help of Dell have restored it. I would like to tackle this myself since it's becoming a way of life.

So, we have a recurring problem here, it sounds like.  Am I right?  I have the impression you may picking up some nasties on the Internet and that's what clogging up your computer. 

Do you keep a firewall enabled?  Do you normally have an anti-virus program installed?  What about spyware removal tools?  What about periodic disk cleanup and registry cleaning and disk defragmentation?  Are you doing those things?

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
    Due to the extreme slowness you're experiencing, yes, I'd suggest doing that.  Of course, this will erase everything now on the drive.  So, backup what you want to keep, before proceeding with this, if possible. 

If you do a clean install and experience poor performance right away, I suggest you download memtest and run it to test your memory.  If software issues are not causing your problem, you apparently have hardware issues.  So, a memory test may be well worth the time.  Another test would be to remove your old memory and try running it with only the new 512MB module you bought.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
    There's also the possibility you added the wrong type of RAM...enter the machine's service tag # at Dell's site and check their recommended type of RAM with the specs of the 512 stick.
    I agree with soybean nonetheless...a clean install is a good idea at this point.

Collect all your drivers beforehand as well and as suggested backup any data you may need as it will all be gone.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 11:17:09 AM »
    Your device drivers; video, LAN, sound, USB, etc.  Drivers are small programs that need to be installed for these devices to work properly. 

Do you have a Recovery CD, maybe several CDs, that came with your computer?  If so, and if you've made no hardware changes other than the memory, all your drivers should be on one of those CDs.  In that case, you won't need to worry about collecting them from other sources.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
    Will your CD drive play music CDs and recognized non-Dell software CDs? 

roy rogers

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »
    another option that is often overlooked is disk cleanup. First go to system restore and attempt to restore to a point before the slow down started. If this doesn't help use disk cleanup and delete all unnecessary files. You will probably have many temp intenet files you don't need. Next select the "other options" tab and delete old backup points. You have already determined they are of no use. Here you also  have the option to delete programs you no longer use, if relevent.  After deleting hundreds or thousands of temp internet files you will need another defrag. I just did same with a similar computer and things now work better. I would suggest downloading a free copy of ad-aware, mine just picked up 11 items a scan by norton internet security missed.