Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External harddrives  (Read 1990 times)

dynamic

Topic Starter

Rookie

External harddrives
    « on: November 28, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »
    I have Dell Dimension 4400
    Processor Intel R Pent R 4 CPU 1.6 Ghz
    Processor Speed 1.56 Ghz
    Memory 256
    Windows XP Home Edision

Computer is very very slow.  Have had several crashes in the past and have had to remove and install Windows again with the help of Dell.

I purchased an External Drive and want to upgrade the memory to 512 but have not yet installed.

Can I transfer all data and "programs" to  external drive?  If I wipe out everything can I just reinstall it off the external drive?
    Can I use the Norton Wipe Clean?
    I am not an experienced computer person... I just click until I get what I need and read alot of forums.

Thanks any advise.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: External harddrives
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
    Can I transfer all data and "programs" to  external drive?  If I wipe out everything can I just reinstall it off the external drive?

Yes, you can do transfer all data and "programs" to  external drive by using a drive image program such as DriveImage XML.  I'm not familiar with Norton Wipe Clean.  Is that a brand of toilet paper?    ;D

homer

Expert
      Re: External harddrives
      « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »

Yes, you can do transfer all data and "programs" to  external drive by using a drive image program such as DriveImage XML.  I'm not familiar with Norton Wipe Clean.  Is that a brand of toilet paper?    ;D

just posting to say LOL!